Few Questions for First Trip to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba kbell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going on my first trip to Bonaire in June. I have been reading through the many Bonaire posts and it has been very helpful. However, I have a few questions. I will be staying at the Sand Dollar. Is town walkable from here and is there a grocery store nearby? It looks like a lot of people recommend a restaurant called Casablanca and to get the mixed grill (we were thinking of going our first night). Is it located in town or at a resort? Are reservations required for that restaurant? We plan to mostly cook in but are open to any suggestions for inexpensive restaurants.

Does anyone have a recommendation for something to hold keys/money while diving? I understand the recommendations about not leaving anything in the rental/leaving unlocked while diving. I am looking for something that maybe I can clip on to my BC rather than keeping the keys or whatever else loose in my BC pocket.

I have only been shore diving a few times and at those locations entry was from a sandy beach in calm conditions. Are there a lot of waves at the dive sites? What are some sites that have easy entries? Are there any shore sites that I can use full foot fins? I am going to also have my open heel fins with booties, but I am much more comfortable using my full foot fins. Also, what is the etiquette for diving in front of a resort your not staying at? Does anyone care? We were thinking about one day diving in front of Eden Resort and using the beach for a bit during the day for an extended surface interval. Would this be an issue?

Lastly, when leaving Bonaire does the airport have duty free in the terminal? If so, does anyone know if it is open at 6am when the Continental flight leaves?

I'm going on my first trip to Bonaire in June. I have been reading through the many Bonaire posts and it has been very helpful. However, I have a few questions. I will be staying at the Sand Dollar. Is town walkable from here and is there a grocery store nearby?
Not really, it's over a mile and a half from the south end of Sand Dollar to the center of Kralendijk. Sand Dollar Grocery is either in Sand Dollar's parking lot or next door. It's a pretty small market though. There's also Lover's Ice Cream, Chat-n-Browse and a bank with ATM that dispenses US dollars there. You'll find a lot more selection at Cultimara market downtown or one of the warehouse food stores just east of downtown.
It looks like a lot of people recommend a restaurant called Casablanca and to get the mixed grill (we were thinking of going our first night). Is it located in town or at a resort?
It's in town, just a block off the water. Casablanca Bonaire.
Are reservations required for that restaurant?
You can do them online if desired on the above website. We waited about 20mins. one night mid-week.
Does anyone have a recommendation for something to hold keys/money while diving?
A Witz case worked for me all week. Witz from LeisurePro.com
I have only been shore diving a few times and at those locations entry was from a sandy beach in calm conditions. Are there a lot of waves at the dive sites?
Not typically - usually it's pretty calm. We were there in late May.
What are some sites that have easy entries? Are there any shore sites that I can use full foot fins?
There are but you'll have to carefully pick your entry/exit point. Look for sand channel breaks in the ironshore. A lot of the sites have both coral rubble or ironshore just offshore to get over also. Scuba Shore Diving Region: ABC Islands explains it in pictures much better than I can. They show entry pictures for some sites. The dark brown stuff seen just offshore is often the submerged ironshore - it's pretty slick also. Sites north of town typically are rougher entries than south of town.

Many of the dive resorts are on named dive sites also and have dive docks so might be a better option for full-foot fins. Habitat, Buddy's, your resort, Eden Beach, Divi Flamingo, all do. 18Palms at the Plaza Resort (south of town) is off a beach.

Anything from White Slave south is also considered an advanced shore dive due to currents typically. There is an easy entry at Vista Blue but when we dove there the current was bending the soft corals over horizontally.
Also, what is the etiquette for diving in front of a resort your not staying at? Does anyone care?
Captain Don's has a small charge, others didn't seem to mind. We rented tanks sometimes as a courtesy. Most appreciated knowing being told you were a non-guest diving there. And usually told us what to look for and where.
We were thinking about one day diving in front of Eden Resort and using the beach for a bit during the day for an extended surface interval. Would this be an issue?
I doubt it. Buy drinks/lunch at Bongo's. It's a pretty nice beach also. The Plaza also has a beach with volleyball and a beach bar. They do a Tuesday night Beach BBQ also that was pretty reasonable IIRC.

Last edited:
KBell - town is walkable, if you like to walk. Better to take the truck for groceries to either Cultimara or the Warehouse. As for food - I always pack some stuff along - pasta, noodles, tea bags (make iced tea) and zip lock baggies. Supplement that with leftovers (Casablanca mixed grill) and fresh fruits and vegetables from the vendors downtown Kralend or stores. For reasonable fare check out the specials nights - Buddy's does a $10 (or $12) dive and dine night. Only 2 choices, but hey for $10. Whattaburger for burgers and fries. Capt Don's Pizza Temple is good and reasonable. There is a Chinese food restaurant and mini-grocery just north of Capt Don's Habitat (same road as Sand $$) that's supposed to be good and reasonable as well. I've found having a reservation, even made within the hour makes the restaurantuers happier and you get better tables.

Most of the beach entries are either too rocky or sea urchin filled for full foot fins to be practical. Use the booties and don't hurt your feet. Waves are wind dependent - direction and speed. Usually you can find great diving somewhere - if North is rough, go South.

The airport does have duty free shop, though I am not sure what time they open.

I am fairly certain the DF shop was open when we left last time. We will be there June 6-13. :D

I'm going on my first trip to Bonaire in June. I have been reading through the many Bonaire posts and it has been very helpful. However, I have a few questions. I will be staying at the Sand Dollar. Is town walkable from here and is there a grocery store nearby? It looks like a lot of people recommend a restaurant called Casablanca and to get the mixed grill (we were thinking of going our first night). Is it located in town or at a resort? Are reservations required for that restaurant? We plan to mostly cook in but are open to any suggestions for inexpensive restaurants.

Does anyone have a recommendation for something to hold keys/money while diving? I understand the recommendations about not leaving anything in the rental/leaving unlocked while diving. I am looking for something that maybe I can clip on to my BC rather than keeping the keys or whatever else loose in my BC pocket.

I have only been shore diving a few times and at those locations entry was from a sandy beach in calm conditions. Are there a lot of waves at the dive sites? What are some sites that have easy entries? Are there any shore sites that I can use full foot fins? I am going to also have my open heel fins with booties, but I am much more comfortable using my full foot fins. Also, what is the etiquette for diving in front of a resort your not staying at? Does anyone care? We were thinking about one day diving in front of Eden Resort and using the beach for a bit during the day for an extended surface interval. Would this be an issue?

Lastly, when leaving Bonaire does the airport have duty free in the terminal? If so, does anyone know if it is open at 6am when the Continental flight leaves?

There is a fairly new market within walking distance of SD, it is about 3 or 4 blocks north (to the left as you leave SD) they have good selection.
I just put the keys in a waterproof (yea right :) ) case and attach it to the inside of my BC pocket, then zip the pocket shut. All I carry to the dive sites are a CC, $20 in cash, truck and room keys. There is no need to carry anything else and none of that is damaged by salt water, the $20 will dry in a few minutes if you need to use it.

There is a $35 exit tax which you need to pay before getting in line for your boarding pass, they are open all the time and now take CCs.

When are you on Bonaire? We are there June 27-July 4 and staying at Den Laman which is next door to SD, always happy to meet SB members and show new Boniare divers around.

I am fairly certain the DF shop was open when we left last time. We will be there June 6-13. :D

We'll just miss you. We are arriving on the 13th.

There is a fairly new market within walking distance of SD, it is about 3 or 4 blocks north (to the left as you leave SD) they have good selection.
I just put the keys in a waterproof (yea right :) ) case and attach it to the inside of my BC pocket, then zip the pocket shut. All I carry to the dive sites are a CC, $20 in cash, truck and room keys. There is no need to carry anything else and none of that is damaged by salt water, the $20 will dry in a few minutes if you need to use it.

There is a $35 exit tax which you need to pay before getting in line for your boarding pass, they are open all the time and now take CCs.

When are you on Bonaire? We are there June 27-July 4 and staying at Den Laman which is next door to SD, always happy to meet SB members and show new Boniare divers around.

I'll be there before you, June 13-20.

Hey Kbell, been to Bonaire many, many times. Actually I'll be there the same time as you in June. All the above advice is good.

Forget Casablanca; it used to be pretty good but a better place is very close to Sand Dollar. It is called Patagonia and it offers the all you can eat meat like Casablanca. It is actually owned and run by the people that originally had Casablanca. It is closer to you and much better.

My son and I have hit nearly every site from the park to the lighthouse so if you have any questions hit me up. If you want us to show you around any while you're there let me know.

We'll just miss you. We are arriving on the 13th.

Maybe we'll see ya. We have a group of 23 arriving on the 12th and leaving on the 19th.

tardmaster and diver1011 where are you staying? We were possibly looking for other people to dive with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom