Best time of year for diving Bonaire????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dgsmith

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there good diving conditions in late October in Bonair?? Does it really matter when you go?? Is there a rainy season or a period where the no-seeums seem to be at its worse? Any advice would be great.

I prefer to go anywhere between January and December. :)

I believe november is the rain season...however haven been there then...it wasnt that bad..certainly did ruin the diving...but then again, it was just a week. :)

Is there good diving conditions in late October in Bonair?? Does it really matter when you go?? Is there a rainy season or a period where the no-seeums seem to be at its worse? Any advice would be great.

Good diving in Oct? Of course! As far as when you go it should be on your schedule. The best time to dive, well i prefer right now. Generally speaking the ocean is like a big lake and some days here it's like glass. Was diving "The Lake" 2 days ago & we had at least 120 foot viz (unfortunately we did have a bit of a current; but nothing we couldn't handle).

Generally, the period between Nov & Feb is considered to be "rainy season". However this is really a misnomer. If you get a shower every day, it's brief & many times at night.

I think we've been in every season.....doesn't matter at all! As DiverVince says, rainy season means you might get a shower but it has never impacted the diving for us. Go when you can.....

I've never had a problem with no-seeums on Bonaire. Now, on Roatan that's a different story!

I wouldn't worry about no-seeums. However, during the rainy season, mosquitoes can be a major issue. Bring the best mosquito repellent you can find and use it in the early evenings. Don't be afraid to wear pants/shoes to dinner. :D

Have fun with your trip planning...

I enjoy going in August, less people on the island and I had the best vis ever on one trip. I tend to skip the holiday weeks because it can get a little crowed down there but I've really never have had a bad trip.

Well my 2cents and worth every penny :)
Been there May,August,November and many times in March. Rainy season was less humid than May and can't remember much rain, must of been at night. August is quieter but hot. March is busy and have run into some wave action that made diving difficult for a couple of days (happened once in 6 or so visits). Favorite time was November but that was before cruise ships, was quiet and peaceful and the diving is always great.
having said that I've never run into visibility greater than 70 feet, so reference to 120' has got my attention. Mosquitoes and no see-ems always a factor. Go when you can, if you can!

Anytime is a great time to dive on Bonaire! We really don't have a "rainy season" like you would see in the tropical islands. Our idea of a rainy season is about a 15 minute burst of rain in the middle of the night, or a 5 minute burst in the middle of the afternoon once in a while. We are an arid island, kind of desert like with some sub tropical areas, but not much. We have palm trees, divi trees, flamboyant trees, are famous for our "kadushi" (tall cactus).

Getting back to rainy season, it seems to be changing over the past few years. It used to be "rainy season" was mid Nov - beginning of Feb. 2008 we had very little rain at all, and 2009, none from October until May 2010! The last month and 1/2 we have been having rain that has been consistent with our normal "rainy" season.

I would have to say, based on history, the late October thing is good for no seeums. I would also recommend April and May as the best months too!

Thanks for all the replys. I cannot wait to dive Bonair.

The best time to dive to Bonaire.................as soon as you can get your ass down there !!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom