Insel air carry on experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Angry Turtle

Contributor
Reaction score
The carry-on allowance on Insel's MD-80 flights originating and bound for the US is:

1 Piece Size (H x W x D): 56cmx18cmx10cm (22inx7inx3.93in) Max. Weight:10kg(22lbs)

This size pretty much rules out anything but the smallest/skinniest items/bags.

Would they let you check a larger carry-on bag at the gate instead of at the counter?

I was all happy about getting the dive-caddy, and carrying on all my gear until I read that.

Last year I flew them from Bonaire to Curacao on one of there bigger planes and had no problem with my "normal" carry on.

We flew Insel Miami to Bonaire in Sept. They weighed our carry on bags which of course were too heavy. We rearranged the contents and checked one bag through. The other contained my camera gear and laptop; no way the bag handlers were going to get their hands on those items. We were allowed to take the camera case out and just carry it as a "personal item." Same with the laptop. That got the weight down to allowable limits. Once we were through security, we repacked the bag and there were no problems.

On the return flight, they did not weigh any of the carry on bags. Not sure what the difference was, but that was how it went.

Was happy enough with Insel. The biggest problem is that if you are not part of their program, you can not pre select your seats; you get what they give you and hope for the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom