Bonaire Coral alive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are wanting to go to Bonaire in Feb. 2014, but I have read so many reviews that the coral is almost all dead and there is no fish life....any recent experiences of folks going there? We are also considering Cayman Islands...anyone have a comparison?
We have dove many places throughtout the world, but are always looking for other places to dive.

I'm curious where you read negative reviews of Bonaire reef health?

Take a look at the recent photos shared in this thread, and then decide for yourself.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bonaire/458710-bonaire-photos-5-20-5-27-a.html

There's no shortage of recent photos and videos of Bonaire underwater posted on the internet. Here are a couple of my favorites:

[video=vimeo;63513920]http://vimeo.com/63513920[/video]

[video=youtube;eo3_JpwGFUU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo3_JpwGFUU#![/video]

Did he go right over a yellow frogfish at 2:39? Hard to tell. (first video)

We are also considering Cayman Islands...anyone have a comparison?
Cayman is big deep walls, Bonaire isn't.

Both have Turtles, Stingrays, lots of Tarpon and lots of smaller stuff. You might see the occasional shark off Grand Cayman and regularly off the Sister Islands. To see that off Bonaire you have to dive the East Side with someone who specializes in going out there. I always tell people for big stuff go to Cayman or Turks/Caicos, for small stuff Bonaire or Curacao.

Bonaire can be done at 1/2 the cost of Grand Cayman also.

This was the first trip report I pulled up on Bonaire: bummed me out......do you agree with it??

The once beautiful full-of-life reefs of Bonaire are now about 50% destroyed apparently for a variety of reasons. From “WBD” (White Band Disease) and abnormal hurricane activity since 2005 which have done significant damage.

I was last diving on Bonaire in 1984 and the reefs and animal life were stunning. Now there is evidence of severe problems at all of the 13 dive sites I visited (including some on Kline Bonaire). I’m a long time, globally experienced diver-photographer and was hard put to find decent subjects. (Oh yes, some macro critters if that’s of interest.) Not just the cancerous-looking coral heads and bone-white Elkhorn coral skeletal remains strewn over the ocean floor, but the lack of sea life also. No large animals were encountered at all. No sharks, no dolphins, no large turtles, no mantas, none of the big groupers I remembered. Really sad and unfortunately it may never recover. There are groups such as the Coral Restoration Foundation (the hotel adds a dollar donation to your bill) and other organizations trying to save the reefs but success so far is minimal.

Pretty much no place is what it used to be, so drawing comparisons between what is there now and what used to be (especially 30 years ago) is not very useful for trip planning purposes. You can only go someplace now. Everything is relative, and most would consider Bonaire one of the better dive destinations in the Caribbean. (It's not my favorite, but that has to do with things other than reef health - like I find the dives are mostly all very similar, we like good food and were never impressed with the restaurants there, shore diving around the island does not interest me as it does some, and it's a pain to get to for a place I'm not excited about. Other places such as Cayman are just a better match for what I like.)

To the OP, you say you have dove many places throughout the world. Have you dove anywhere in the Caribbean? You may be disappointed in Bonaire, or any Caribbean diving, if you expect it to be like the Indo-Pacific.

This was the first trip report I pulled up on Bonaire: bummed me out......do you agree with it??

The once beautiful full-of-life reefs of Bonaire are now about 50% destroyed apparently for a variety of reasons. From “WBD” (White Band Disease) and abnormal hurricane activity since 2005 which have done significant damage.

I was last diving on Bonaire in 1984 and the reefs and animal life were stunning. Now there is evidence of severe problems at all of the 13 dive sites I visited (including some on Kline Bonaire). I’m a long time, globally experienced diver-photographer and was hard put to find decent subjects. (Oh yes, some macro critters if that’s of interest.) Not just the cancerous-looking coral heads and bone-white Elkhorn coral skeletal remains strewn over the ocean floor, but the lack of sea life also. No large animals were encountered at all. No sharks, no dolphins, no large turtles, no mantas, none of the big groupers I remembered. Really sad and unfortunately it may never recover. There are groups such as the Coral Restoration Foundation (the hotel adds a dollar donation to your bill) and other organizations trying to save the reefs but success so far is minimal.

Ah, so you are NOT referring to a review that compares Bonaire to other Caribbean destinations. Rather, you are reading a review that compares Bonaire today to Bonaire in 1984. It's my understanding that pretty much ALL of the common Caribbean dive destinations have experienced declines in their reefs since, say, 1984. I bet you can find similar reviews about many other Caribbean dive destinations, where someone remarks that the reef is not as nice as it was 30 years ago. Why would you think this is unique to Bonaire?

Also, I agree with Damselfish that if you're comparing Bonaire to the Indo-Pacific, that's not a fair comparison either.

This coming trip will be at least my 8th or 9th in @7 years. Since I can not compare the reefs today with what they were, or what memory sees, 30 years ago, I can not say how they compare.

Everything I read decries the decline of all diving around the world in that same period, so I am pretty certain Bonaire, too, is different now than then.

All I know is that Bonaire is always fun to dive, and we always find a tremendous variety of life, and a different balance of that life from year to year.

I went in April this year and it was great... Lots of sealife and very much alive and healthy reefs, but of course I'm not comparing it to itself 30 years ago

I went in April this year and it was great... Lots of sealife and very much alive and healthy reefs, but of course I'm not comparing it to itself 30 years ago

Few of us can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom