Insel Air MIA - BON

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt Clancy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are going to Bonaire November 2-9th. Looking at flights, I can get a great deal on Insel Air out of Miami (non-stop). Having never heard of the airline, did a quick google search and all I can find are a bunch of really awful reviews. Comments are "flight delayed 6+ hours", or "baggage came 2 days later". Does anyone have any recent experiences with this Insel Airlines?

Matt, I have flown Insel twice out of Charlotte. As far as luggage and on time history, for me they have been neither better nor worse than any other airline. They all cancel or arrive late, they all misplace my luggage, they all always have a reason for the problems. Insel is older planes and are a little more worn but the staff has always been very helpful and pleasant. Getting through to someone is a problem and they do not keep accurate flight times posted. When we book I will only do it through a travel site so there is an intermediary to run interference if needed. I use Travelocity and so far that has worked well. If the flight times are best and/or prices better, consider them. If price or flight times are not significantly better, I would probably go with one of the larger airlines.

Luggage is limited if you just do the island hopper but if your flight originates from the USA, the luggage allowance is as good or better then other airlines, especially if you tell them it is dive gear.

Hope this helps...

I've taken Insel from MIA as well as CLT, changing planes in CUR. Flights were on time. On one trip, my luggage (including much of my dive gear) took a 2-day side trip to Venezuela without me when we changed planes in CUR. I don't think Insel is a particularly bad airline when compared with others of its kind--that is, foreign low-cost carriers. Luggage gets lost from time to time on those CUR transfers. It's not the same standard of service you get with a major carrier, but their fares are attractive. I guess you get what you pay for. I wouldn't hesitate to take Insel again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom