Recent Bonaire Feedback Requested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bruss719

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am currently planning an early April dive trip and strongly considering Bonaire. My wife and I are not newbies but also not experts. We have logged about 90 dives over the past 5 years… most of them in Hawaii. We are considering Bonaire because we have always heard that the visibility and reefs are excellent.

In my research, I have read multiple reviews that say the reef has deteriorated significantly in recent years and some who have said that they were disappointed in the reef, the visibility, and the island (crime).

If you have been there in the past year or so, could you please provide your perspective on visibility, reef health, marine life, as well as general safety on the island? Also we are considering Harbour Village Beach Club… any input?

Thanks in advance!

Harbour Village is supposed to be the nicest resort on Bonaire. I've never been to HV, but I have made about 20 trips to Bonaire and am returning in June. The reef system has deteriorated since I first visited in 1986. We like to shore dive out front of Captain Don's Habitat. I would say that one used to be able to dive to about 25 ft and see most everything-not so now, one must go to about a 35 ft depth. The reef there is mostly on a fairly steep slope beginning at about 25 ft deep--coral at 40 or 50 ft can be very healthy and thick enough that there's no place to stop on the bottom in sand...........viz is down too, but still nice at around 50-70 ft.

Petty crime is a problem and always was but seems to be worse now. Don't leave anythng out, use the safe, check the locks on the windows, rent a big DOG! As far as I know, no dogs are for rent--but it IS a good idea......................:D That said--I've not yet had a problem with theft.
AND, you can get there non stop from Houston on United. Air has been in the $300. range for some dates this year, check ITAsoftware airfare matrix to check 30 days at a time...........

Did some shore diving and snorkeling in Maui about 8 years ago now. As I recall there was a petty theft problem from vehicles there too. Not a big deal if you take some basic precautions on Bonaire. Don't leave valuables in your rental truck, it's an easy target when the kids know you'll be under water for an hour. I grew up in Detroit so I don't see much to worry about on Bonaire, but that just may be my perspective. And someone stole my watch from a dive site here in Michigan - because I was careless and should have known better.

Sorry, but I consider the diving much better on Bonaire than in HI. Much more diverse coral on Bonaire.

Just returned from a week in Bonaire, our second trip (we were there also last January). We had a great trip, and would be happy to return again. Coral reefs are deteriorating all around the Caribbean, it is just a sad fact of our time. I don't think it is any worse in Bonaire, maybe better than many other places. Many of the sites we dove were still very beautiful, incredible numbers of fish, good visibility, and the shore diving experience is such a pleasure.

We have not experienced any theft, we left nothing of value in our truck and left windows open. No problems. We did meet a group at "1000 Stairs" who had a cooler stolen from their open vehicle. They had used a cable lock to "lock up" some things including the soft cooler, but it seemed to me to be asking for trouble to try to lock up anything. They ran the cable though the handles, so all it took was a pair of scissors to defeat the cable. The cooler only had water and sandwiches in it, but the cooler itself might have been tempting. If you leave nothing of real value in your truck when you dive, you will lose nothing of value! We were pretty casual also about locking up our room in Buddy Dive Resort, used our safe for valuables, but much valuable equipment (lights, camera equipment, computer, regs, etc) were out most of the time. No problems, felt very safe.

Would return in a heartbeat.

-seth

Spent 2 weeks last November. Reefs and reef life vary from site to site. I dove Alice in Wonderland and it wasn't that great though it wasn't bad - just not the best Bonaire has to offer. Almost right next to it is Invisibles and it was fantastic. Other not-to-miss sites Tolo up north and Cliff not too far north.

Visibility is better on north sites because there is less sand. South sites tend to get a bit churned up in the wind which can start soon after sun-up. Dive southern sites early and northern sites later. Vis is never bad, just sometimes a bit less than perfect.

Crime was less evident than when I was there in 2011. Even petty theft from dive trucks seems to have dropped off due to (sporadic) patrols by police.

There's no need for a cooler. Take some water bottles and freeze them. They'll thaw while you dive. Don't leave anything valuable in the truck. Leave the truck unlocked. Other than that I don't think there are any other crime issues.

We have been going for the past 6 years so I can't comment on the reef from earlier than that... But in 2008 Bonaire took a hit from a tropical storm that really damaged the shallow reefs n some areas. It's been recovering, but some sites still make me cry. Like 18th Palm at the Plaza Resort. Used to be really nice heading to the wall. Again its recovering, but slowly. Otherwise it seems to vary from year to year. But some sites are just spectacular. Southern sites like Vista Blue or Margate Bay are really lush!! Agree with Kharon on viz getting churned up on southern sites sometimes, but once down on the wall it tends to clear. Viz is usually outstanding. Sea life is doing really well. Not too too much in the really big stuff other than the occasional vw-bug-sized turtle, but tons of the other stuff!!!
Petty crime is there as others have said. We follow the rules and do not leave anything in the truck we cannot afford to lose. So we have not had any problems. It's a great place! Tons of diving, drinkable water, great restaurants, nice people. Whats not to like :wink:

I am currently planning an early April dive trip and strongly considering Bonaire. My wife and I are not newbies but also not experts. We have logged about 90 dives over the past 5 years… most of them in Hawaii. We are considering Bonaire because we have always heard that the visibility and reefs are excellent.

In my research, I have read multiple reviews that say the reef has deteriorated significantly in recent years and some who have said that they were disappointed in the reef, the visibility, and the island (crime).

If you have been there in the past year or so, could you please provide your perspective on visibility, reef health, marine life, as well as general safety on the island? Also we are considering Harbour Village Beach Club… any input?

Thanks in advance!

Maybe look at it this way: Would you avoid Bonaire, which is one of the most popular dive destinations in the Caribbean, just because a few people have said the reefs have deteriorated and there is crime? Who are these people and where else have they been diving? The majority of recent Bonaire trip reports I've read on SB and elsewhere are from people who loved the place. I haven't been there in two years, and you asked only for recent firsthand accounts, so I will apologize for interjecting.

There are SB threads about both of these issues if you haven't yet done a search. On the reef issue, I recall people pointing out that reefs have deteriorated everywhere in the Caribbean, but the damage to Bonaire's reef is no worse than anywhere else. On the crime issue, I recall people pointing out that while there have been one or two surprising incidents of violent crime arguably crossing paths with the tourist industry (I believe the most commonly cited incident was the robbery of a hotel desk), the majority of crime in Bonaire against visitors is petty theft, such as from rental cars and hotel rooms. This kind of theft from cars and hotel rooms occurs pretty much everywhere in the world where tourists are. My conclusion is that it's probably no worse on Bonaire than anywhere else.

Having done dive vacations in both Hawaii and Bonaire - crime is much worse in Hawaii.
In general, lodging and facilities are better in Hawaii.
I enjoyed eating out much more on Bonaire. Hawaii was way more expensive when it came to restaurants.

The above comments about the hurricane damage to Bonaire's reefs are true (unfortunately).

YMMV!

I agree, I think crime is worse in Hawaii. I've never had a problem in Bonaire. I've had lots of stuff stolen off my front porch and from the yard in Mesa,AZ. Nothing in 3 weeks of Bonaire and my husband is not very careful.
We haven't been there since about 2011 but I thought it was really great then.
Bonaire is our favorite place for a good, "chilling out" vacation. I love the relaxed pace with shore dives, no boat schedule or Divemaster guide to deal with.
That said, I'm really grateful that my husband ( an instructor) was with me for my first 5-10 rougher shore dives. I learned so much diving the southern sites like Red Slave and the far northern sites. Information on entering through surf, choosing entry/exit sites and other shore diving basics. There are plenty of dives with very easy entry and exits so don't worry about lack of experience. There is a guide available if you want to dive more difficult sites. I can't remember his name, and I watched him help a woman on a difficult shore entry. He's a super nice guy and seems quite knowledgable, with very reasonable rates,too.

Back
Top Bottom