Baggage charge once per trip, or per airline?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

Hoping to hit Bonaire sometime next month. The week that's most likely, I nearly choked when I saw the airfare, but that's when the resort I want indicated they had more openings, and that's the time off I was granted at work, where time off can be hard to come by. Leaving from Nashville, TN, by the way.

Delta round trip would be around $1350 - $1400. I usually use Delta at around $900 - $1,100 & pay around $25 bag 1, $35 bag 2 (checked) each way.

Or I can go with multi-stop 2 different airline options; this can involve a mix of U.S. Airways, Insel and American Airlines flights. Figure routes like Nashville to NC to Aruba to Curacao to Bonaire, Bonaire to Curacao to Miami to Nashville, that sort of thing. And I'm skipping anything that says 'overnight.'

Trying to dig through their web sites hunting baggage info. for how they interact with competitors sounds alike a head ache invitation.

I figure a number of people on here have done this sort of traveling and know the answer.

Do you pay the baggage fee for your 1st departing airline for your checked bags (let's say U.S. Airways going, and Insel coming back), and that's it, or do you get nailed with baggage fees again every time you switch to a different airline on your route?

Thanks.

Richard.

I believe the key will be how you book the flights, if you book the flights through one airline, with one ticket, for instance you book from Nashville to Bonaire on United's website on a ticket they offer that takes you on their partner airlines then you'd have one baggage fee coming and one coming back even if you have 3 or 4 legs.

But if you book your trip by booking separate legs through separate airlines essentially for instance purchasing 3 individual tickets then you're going to be paying 3 different baggage fees coming and 3 more returning.

Hi:

Hoping to hit Bonaire sometime next month. The week that's most likely, I nearly choked when I saw the airfare, but that's when the resort I want indicated they had more openings, and that's the time off I was granted at work, where time off can be hard to come by. Leaving from Nashville, TN, by the way.

Delta round trip would be around $1350 - $1400. I usually use Delta at around $900 - $1,100 & pay around $25 bag 1, $35 bag 2 (checked) each way.

Or I can go with multi-stop 2 different airline options; this can involve a mix of U.S. Airways, Insel and American Airlines flights. Figure routes like Nashville to NC to Aruba to Curacao to Bonaire, Bonaire to Curacao to Miami to Nashville, that sort of thing. And I'm skipping anything that says 'overnight.'

Trying to dig through their web sites hunting baggage info. for how they interact with competitors sounds alike a head ache invitation.

I figure a number of people on here have done this sort of traveling and know the answer.

Do you pay the baggage fee for your 1st departing airline for your checked bags (let's say U.S. Airways going, and Insel coming back), and that's it, or do you get nailed with baggage fees again every time you switch to a different airline on your route?

Thanks.

Richard.
$1400. Would cause me to go elsewhere. Out of New York airfare on a group I have going in Sept is something like $700. Which even at that I consider on the high side. We took a group booking rate,which is not always the less expensive way, to insure we had seats for the spots we plan to sell. Flight is Delta out of NY to Atlanta to bonaire.

If the airlines don't have predefined and well-advertised inter-airline partnerships you should expect to pay baggage fees for each different airline you fly with.

Here's a $788 Delta fare out of BNA for May 10-18, with no overnight stops in ATL going either direction. Note the Delta Gold American Express card offer in my screenshot. If you sign up for this card during your booking you'll get a credit for an additional $50 off of the fare. That card also gets you your first bag checked free and priority boarding (after first class and Delta's Medallion frequent flyers, but before the rest of the regular coach passengers.) There's no fee for the first year, so you can cancel it after 12 months if you don't think it's worth $95 to renew.

BNA-BON.jpg

That's a lot more restrictive than "Hoping to hit Bonaire sometime next month." Good luck.

It can vary with the airline and even the clerk. One trip to the Red Sea, we paid luggage fees once. The next trip (with no change in rules that we knew of) we were refused boarding on the Egypt Air flight from Cairo to Hurghada -- the guy wouldn't even let us pay a luggage fee, just said we couldn't get on. We got it sorted (and it cost significant money to do so) but it was a fright and a pain.

I don't know how the airlines in the Caribbean are. They may be more rational and less baksheesh oriented than Egypt.

I can't answer your baggage question-but I can suggest an alternate route. Insel flies from Charlotte, NC to Curacao and on to Bonaire. We have taken this flight many times and are booked for it next January. It leaves Charlotte about 2:30 on Sat, arrives in Curacao-you have a 45 minute layover and then on to Bonaire about 9:30 pm on Sat. The return flight leaves about 7 on sat and arrives in Charlotte around 2:30. We usually pay about $600 each for the round trip.

So, if you can get from Nashville to Charlotte by 1, it should work. Don't know the connection or cost, but know that Charlotte is a hub for US Air/American.

It's always a hassle getting to Bonaire-that's why it's not crowded.

Vann Evans
A4 Sand Dollar
Kralendijk Vacation Rental - VRBO 277614 - 0 BR Bonaire Condo, Ocean-Front, Bari Reef Studio (A4) with Gorgeous View

Back
Top Bottom