A Whole New Cai!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I hope to post a better review of this dive in the future, with pics and what not, but I'm in Bonaire, it's my 1st dive day, it's late and I've got morning boat dives scheduled, so I'm going to quickly post this, drawing from an e-mail I sent my wife. Long story short, a friend & I dove Cai in the past, found it a hairy shore dive, and I've long wondered whether we missed something. Bas Tol with BasDiving.com does guided shore diving on the east coast; I've been in contact with him via internet, and we arranged a meet for me to try Cai with him.

Today he met me at Buddy Dive Resort at 1 p.m. and took me on a guided dive of Cai on the east coast by Lac Bay. Wonderful dive; possibly the best I've ever been on. Saw 5 green moray eels, more spiny lobster than I kept count of, a number of big cubera snapper, several tarpon, a big school of bone fish that must've had hundreds, a yellow sea horse, some fish called palomettas (we saw a lot of fish, and different kinds), so many sea anemones you could grow old trying to count them, some big conchs, an ocean triggerfish, a number of small creatures, and he killed a few invasive lionfish. He showed me this tiny fish called a black brotula; imagine a tiny black moray eel about 2 inches long undulating in the water up in the coral - turns out it's a type of cleaner fish. Speaking of which there were 2 banded coral shrimp working on green moray eel number 3.

There was a lot of variety in the bottom; from flat to sloped to near vertical wall, from sandy to lots of coral growth, and we didn't even have to go deep. On Bas' suggestion I asked for, and got, a larger than usual tank at Buddy Dive Resort; a 100 cf tank. Still, I got the longest dive of my life to date on this dive.

To top it off, we surface swam out to a drop off to start the dive, and Bas took advantage of the currents so we didn't do much current fighting. He gave a long, detailed dive briefing about the site; I think he knows it like the back of his hand. Overall, sticking close to him, the conditions were quite nice to dive. He told me about the underwater topography and the currents, and led the dive to avoid or take advantage of currents.

The stat.s:

1.) Dive Time: 1 hour & 43 minutes. Granted, there at the end, we looked around very shallow and I watched him nail some lionfish, and we were so shallow I could let my tank pressure get low, but still, that's one long dive.
2.) Maximum depth: 48 feet. Average depth: 28 feet.
3.) My SAC rate per Cobalt computer: 0.56 cfm (that's really good for me; the point is, I wasn't fighting currents and stressed).

He wrote on his slate to tell me what things were; I can't remember all of what we saw.

Had a great time. Highly recommend anybody interesting in Cai hook up with Bas. And it turned out to be an impressive dive site; I haven't seen such varied topography on any west coast dive.

Anyway, wanted to share while it was fresh on my mind.

Richard.

Someday..... Several of us on a SB trip did that dive on our own, without the assistance of a master/guide like Bas, and we all acquired scars to prove it. :shakehead:

In the future I will only dive the east side from a boat, or possibly, as a shore dive with Bas. It's a wonderful dive, but if you are not with someone who knows the site well, you can get very banged up. :no:

We must have passed you at the airport on our way home, it seems. Enjoy!

Last edited:
So glad you finally got to dive with Bas! You are right, he knows the area like the back of his hand.

I am happy you enjoyed the dive so much, Richard.
We did not swim to a drop off, just went to the other side of the channel. That's where I like to start the dive.
The other notable things we saw were Sun Anemone Shrimp, Two Claw Shrimp and Scarlet Striped Shrimp. Sea Bream, Buffalo Trunk Fish, Spanish Grunt, Cup Corallimorph, Juvenile Coney, Juvenile Yellow Mouth Grouper and a school of Mutton Snappers.

Vince, I believe we did it as a night dive. Even better :)

Imorin, there was no charge. I had read about and felt sorry for Richards dives at Playa Chikitu and Cai not going too well. He seems like a nice guy here answering many people's questions. I figured he deserved a good east side experience for a change. And that's what he got :) a nice surprise... he did not know until a few days ago.

Finally got around to picking out some photos to show some of the topography and wildlife, and I'll post in this thread instead of making a new one. I'm just a snap shooter using an old Canon G10 in Canon UW housing, no external strobe, all in UW scene mode, and when I cut the resolutions to 800x600 medium JPEG, I let Adobe PhotoShop Elements 8 do the 'Auto Levels' on them, which helps bring back some color.

Back finning out with Bas, I snapped these 2 pics to show where we were related to the old conch shell piles.

IMG_5523_zps1c2dc6be.jpg

IMG_5522_zpsc59697c6.jpg

As we swam out, Bas pointed out that we were going over a large school of bonefish. There must have been hundreds. PhotoShop Elements kind of made the bottom psychedelic in this shot. No way I could take a pic of the whole school; it was a very long affair.

IMG_5525_zps1c17d842.jpg

Here's one of Bas Tol. He put that ELF and lion fish containing canister to good use. It was fairly compact, appeared to be plastic and not too heavy, and a secure way to carry them. He stuffed those he got in that canister; I mention this since I know some people are concerned feeding them to wildlife may induce big morays and other things to approach divers.

IMG_5658_zps3e197aa7.jpg

I told you I saw 5 big green morays; here's a sampling.

IMG_5574_zps1de4f1c1.jpg

IMG_5614_zps7c2acbf3.jpg

IMG_5654_zps9a1b9939.jpg

It wasn't a big crowd at the tarpon site, but we got to see some.

IMG_5563_zps5cdc3960.jpg

On the west coast I saw a few big cubera snappers, but always solitary, and afraid of me. Here, it was a group, and some were interested in us.

IMG_5543_zpsebc8899e.jpg

IMG_5553_zps10ec5f8c.jpg

This pic shows what I think of with Cai; some of the same fish we see on the west coast, but more and bigger. On the west coast, I'd see a school of French grunts. Here, it could be a school of the larger blue-striped grunts, with a mix of other species.

IMG_5548_zps871f7032.jpg

It's not all about the big stuff, either. Bas found me this sea horse, the tiny swimming black brotula, an anemone shrimp and a number of other macro subjects.

IMG_5590_zpsc565348b.jpg

I didn't get good shots of some of what we saw, like the ocean triggerfish. We saw permits and a range of things. One thing Bas did that not all guide do was keep me in the loop with his underwater slate. This was side 2; he'd filled the other side with finds.

IMG_5646_zps08b8304e.jpg

Next I'll post some pics to show some of the varied underwater topography.

Richard.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2014 at 11:14 AM ----------

IMG_5648_zps6e757379.jpg

IMG_5636_zps9e5bad9d.jpg

IMG_5649_zpse67dca59.jpg

IMG_5600_zps8d9ad533.jpg

IMG_5621_zps1b44e25c.jpg

IMG_5663_zpsac3386b9.jpg

IMG_5594_zpsa90a4056.jpg

IMG_5587_zps2fb39918.jpg

IMG_5586_zps24ca0704.jpg

Anybody here like anemones? Amazing numbers here.

IMG_5556_zps461bf995.jpg

I quit counting the Caribbean spiny lobsters once he led me to an area with a bunch of youngsters. But this one was earlier on and good-sized.

IMG_5617_zps2f8e5c71.jpg

To sum it up, I'd highly recommend a Cai shore dive with Bas. Yes, you can try it by yourself; a good friend of mine whose a more capable diver and navigator than I am did so with me in August of 2012, and here's our trip report from that effort.

I did 2 dives at Cai with Bas a few weeks ago. One afternoon and one night dive. The first dive was 111+'minutes, Bas came out with one empty tank!! Night dive was 120+ minutes, Bas was killing &'collecting lionfish like a champ!

i can't recommend Bas highly enough, there aren't enough words. 2 amazing dives and a great close to my trip.

Maybe next time I can just hire him for the day and put him in doubles. I can't wait to return and hit some different sites.

Yep Richard, that's why Bas is the East Side King! Love diving with him. Next time down ask him to take you to Spelunk.

Rich - always enjoy your posts, great pics (and as to that G10 - that would be an upgrade from my G9!). May try Cai w/ Bas next trip, I've seen pics from Spelunk - not so sure!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom