A Taste of Bonaire from My Trip in May 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

Recently spent a week in Bonaire mainly solo diving (May 17 - 24). Out of 28 dives, did 1 with Bas Tol with BasDiving.com (guided dive at Cai, great experience), and 2 boat dives (Mi Dushi off Klein Bonaire, and Small Wall out front of Black Durgeon Inn). On the condition I was solo certified, Buddy had no problem with me solo diving. I asked for a 30 cf AL pony tank setup; they rented me a 40 cf half-filled to 1500 PSI (ah, well, close enough). I'm a snap shooter with an old Canon G10 with Canon UW housing, only the built-in flash when I use it, set to Underwater scene mode, and I let Adobe PhotoShop Elements 8 do 'Auto Levels' when I resize to 800 x 600 so as to reintroduce some color.

Despite the name 'Small Wall,' it looks like The Cliff to me, just larger.

IMG_5806_zps1da881ac.jpg

I'll share a few links and thoughts. Stayed at Buddy Dive Resort in a ground floor 'hotel room' given that I was traveling solo. Costs a good deal more than per person with a room mate, but a big part of a Bonaire trip is airfare, and there's no single supplement for that. This room was near the dive shop and restaurant area, and had good wifi reception. Irritating having to re-enter the access code a lot, but it worked on the notebook computer and was 'free.' Paid to upgrade to an automatic truck; can't drive stick, and especially not in a foreign country where I don't know what all the road signs mean. Out back are 2 piers, and a couple of metal ladders, good for getting in. You can head south toward Bari Reef in the distance, or north past Captain Don's Habitat to that shallow boat wreck before you'd hit The Cliff site.

IMG_5492_zps74b0eead.jpg

The sign up board; the only 2 tank boat trip I noticed that week was the one I dove; I'm 'Richard in 503' diving NT (nitrox tank). The other trips were single tank, pretty large occupancy, and I like the freedom of shore diving.

IMG_5746_zpse8d6fea0.jpg

Buddy Dive is involved with the coral restoration project; to the north from the pier in the sandy section of the shallows, there are some 'trees' with coral growth. You'll see at varied dive sites where stag horn coral is being reintroduced. On the other hand, if you're heading back shallow right off the bottom, it's easy to blunder up to/under one of these things, try to veer off of it and blunder into another one, and Buddy's Reef is a popular night dive (I think I did one evening turned night, and 5 night, dives during my stay, all on Buddy's Reef).

IMG_6431_zpsfadd5ebd.jpg

Here's that boat wreck (LA MACHACA) to the north. Found a neat crab on it; I wonder whether it's a channel cling crab?

IMG_6442_zpsde378013.jpg

IMG_6443_zpsf01d349a.jpg

IMG_6457_zps90e5d85f.jpg

Speaking of entries. You can get 'ladder access' at a number of resorts on the island (e.g.: Buddy Dive Resort, Eden Beach, Windsock Resort, I would think Captain Don's, and you can use the pier at Sand Dollar if you book with Bonaire Dive & Adventure rather than Dive Friends). Up north, the landscape is hilly, even a bit mountainous, and fairly densely thicketed with an impressive array of thorny plants. Some entries are pretty nice; I consider Tolo (a.k.a. Ol'Blue) a nice, underrated site with a good entry/exit.

IMG_5899_zps9dd996c0.jpg

IMG_5900_zps903e764a.jpg

Late in the dive, I was 'cheating' by hanging out in shallow water near a stag horn coral region to the north of entry, when guess who I saw in about 10 feet of water working the sand? Rascal turned and came by me, too.

IMG_5929_zpsdcd4347e.jpg

IMG_5933_zps45bd8b0c.jpg

IMG_5934_zpscae580c0.jpg

I also blundered upon a big free-swimming green moray eel; this chap showed up about 4 or 5 feet in front of me, kind of a 'HellOOOOO, there, buddy' moment, but it swam off.

IMG_5905_zps554701b8.jpg

IMG_5910_zps841c8ce1.jpg

Bachelor's Beach offers ladder access, sort of.

IMG_6128_zpsd300c4ba.jpg

The south is much flatter; you can stand at a shore dive site and see up and down the coast a long ways. Here's Larry's Lair; had a long swim out, though (noticed that on some of the southern sites). Once I dropped down, I photographed an obese great barracuda, and later a small hawksbill sea turtle and a quite small green sea turtle.

IMG_6244_zps2a005888.jpg

IMG_6246_zps32ad3f07.jpg

IMG_6287_zps18e3e933.jpg

I think this was the entry at Salt City; that rough iron shore to the right of that little channel was sharp on the hand.

IMG_6290_zpsecff21ea.jpg

Speaking of entries and piers, I've read quite a bit about this pier at Bari Reef exclusive to customers of Bonaire Dive & Adventure. Here's a shot of that precious (& infamous) pier:

IMG_6337_zps639457df.jpg

But when you exit Buddy Dive or Captain Don's, you can head south, enter that 1st round about, take your 1st right turn (easy to miss the yellow rock saying Bari Reef while in the round about), and go down to a decent shore entry. So not having use of the pier is not a big deal. If you enter here (south end of Bari Reef, I guess) & head south, it gets sparser/sandier, but head north for the richest reef.

I'll close with some general reef & wildlife shots done at various sites.

IMG_6202_zpsbcbad6f2.jpg

Rainbow Parrotfish; they can get up around a yard long plus.

IMG_6037_zpsd177db67.jpg

IMG_5921_zpsec79be7c.jpg

IMG_5902_zps1a37077c.jpg

IMG_5901_zps699c5f34.jpg

IMG_5772_zps78960d0e.jpg

Double reef system down south; has a 'sandy canyon' between reefs.

IMG_6222_zpsf5d4aa5c.jpg

Tarpon. Saw a number of them.

IMG_6472_zps4a9d2caf.jpg

Horse-eye Jacks. Normally see them deep, but a school went shallow near a boat overhead. It's a wonder I looked up and saw them.

IMG_6434_zps40cc3451.jpg

IMG_6435_zpsc3868758.jpg

IMG_6214_zps5503960f.jpg

Midnight Parrot Fish.

IMG_6404_zps4a60e4df.jpg

Cubera Snapper.

IMG_6348_zps736a0625.jpg

Peacock Flounder.

IMG_6330_zps3b949272.jpg

Scorpionfish.

IMG_5698_zps9f6a27c7.jpg

IMG_5735_zps3430ef66.jpg

Hawksbill Sea Turtle.

IMG_5992_zpsa13083dc.jpg

Black Durgeon (they look jet black till you're close).

IMG_6219_zps1e04c62d.jpg

Lots of baitfish this trip, and plenty of Blue Chromis.

IMG_6220_zps2d96a27b.jpg

IMG_6221_zps82780a7e.jpg

Saw a couple of these things in the shallows, about a foot long; wonder what this fish is?

IMG_6229_zpsb78dff21.jpg

And a school of these deep on one dive; wonder what they are?

IMG_5848_zpsbefb6a67.jpg

I think that's a Queen Parrotfish, perhaps one of the most beautiful animals I saw.

IMG_6012_zps4abfa20e.jpg

Ever felt like a lion fish mooned you?

IMG_6032_zpsa31efbbf.jpg

Burr Fish.

IMG_5712_zps31dee752.jpg

Saw Squid on 2 dives, and as usual, saw them shallow.

IMG_6119_zps623fbce7.jpg

In other mollusk news, Flamingo Tongues.

IMG_5893_zpsae5893a5.jpg

Sand Diver (a.k.a. Lizardfish).

IMG_5856_zps413308c5.jpg

IMG_5857_zps18b11623.jpg

The Dive Guide showed me a Sea Horse at Mi Dushi.

IMG_5777_zpsd02f99f5.jpg

Saw a number of Bristle Worms.

IMG_5734_zpsa88651a0.jpg

And Sea Anemones. In 2nd Shot, an anemone shrimp is being pointed out by a guide.

IMG_5724_zps7bdb83f8.jpg

IMG_5796_zps96c98528.jpg

A number of Moon Jellyfish, something I don't normally see much in Bonaire.
IMG_5695_zps3062eb4c.jpg

---------- Post added May 31st, 2014 at 11:04 PM ----------

For more from my trip, I've got threads going from my guided shore dive of Cai with Bas Tol of BasDiving.com, and my 'adventure' getting stung by Bonaire Box Jellyfish on a night dive off Buddy Dive Resort's pier.

I include these since I figure some people use the forum to research destinations, like I do, and the info. might come in handy.

I know my trip report is quite long; I hope that including photo.s to break it up makes it flow better, easier on the eyes. Text dense reports are sometimes hard for me to follow.

Richard.

Thanks. I'll make it there someday.

Your school of fish are some kind of barracuda. Check out the tail fin shape. Love love love your capture of the flamingo tongues! All in all, looks like you had a pretty nice trip.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2014 at 11:08 PM ----------

I can't really tell from your picture but is it possible your single mystery fish is a tile fish?

Last edited:
Richard--I think your unknowns are a sand tile fish and a school of southern sennet. Underslung jaw, slender, no blotches, decent school size. Sand tile fish has yellow snout and upper tail rays; elongated, and probably hung/cruised around a few feet off the bottom.

Thanks for the write up, headed back in August for a week.

Thanks for the pics and it looks like a great trip. It's on my list for.....someday.

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed reading about your trip and the pictures are excellent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom