Save Bonaire's Donkeys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agilulfo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just learned that Bonaire's donkeys, a unique species, are on their way to forced extinction. Here is a documentary explaining the situation: "Buriku, A National Treasure" youtu.be/1UdUumpLFpM.

Background:
The Donkey Sanctuary Bonaire has signed a contract with the government. The purpose of the contract is for an eventual elimination to the donkeys from the wild and ultimately from all of Bonaire​

After months of research, we found and formed an excellent research team of Wild Life Ecologists, Environmental Scientists, Biologists, Environmental Researchers and Equid professionals who have worked with wild horses and wild burros (donkeys) for decades. On March 11, 2014, with the help of this research and the team, we supplied information to the Island Council, which caused them to unanimously vote on a Motion to put a temporary stop to the killing and castrating of the donkeys. From Nov 1 2013, until the Island Council motion was passed, The Donkey Sanctuary Bonaire captured over 400 donkeys, 97 old and injured were killed and over 100 were castrated, (as in the past 23 years are only keeping females). Total to date aproximetily 500 and if the contact is completed there will be more then 700. with no natural forage and little shade in the small area they are kept in.​

We discovered the donkeys of Bonaire are a unique species. DNA testing has shown that Nubian Wild Ass is present in Bonaire. These donkeys are listed on the IUCN Red List as Critically Endangered species and even mentioned as extinct in the wild since the 1950's. Therefore they need to be protected in the wild where they are found. This has no meaning to the Donkey Sanctuary Bonaire, who wants the government to allow them to continue with the catching, killing and castrating. I could go on explaining the atrocities that are taking place but time does not allow. Any one that wants more information can send an email and watch the youtube video below.​
OK here is the point... it is now time to bring 3 of our professionals from our Research Team from the US to the island in July to collect pertinent informaiton, do an impact study, etc., This will help provide necessary information to the government that our humane plan (to retain the culture of Bonaire and keep the donkeys in the wild and healthy, well into the future) is viable.​

Citizens for a Better, Safer and Animal Friendly Bonaire
http://www.savethebonairedonkeys.com/

Last edited:
Not quite all the facts...looks to be more of a case of internet sensationalism than anything else.

News

Not quite all the facts...looks to be more of a case of internet sensationalism than anything else.

News

Have you actually read what you linked to? Here is a quote:

"All stallions will be castrated and given an ear tag and microchip and will then be released on quiet sites on the island." (emphasis added)

If that's not a recipe for extinction I don't know what is.

Have you actually read what you linked to? Here is a quote:

"All stallions will be castrated and given an ear tag and microchip and will then be released on quiet sites on the island." (emphasis added)

If that's not a recipe for extinction I don't know what is.
Ok...All Pet Shelters spay and neuter their animals. Yet, dogs and cats aren't going extinct. It looks to me like this is being done to control the population; not eliminate them.

Do you have any proof of these wild claims? I have proof that refutes many of the allegations of your post; why should I believe the rest of it. Show us something real that states they want make the Donkey population extinct.

It's internet sensationalism, nothing more.

This is a problem for the people of Bonaire to decide. I'm so sick of crusaders getting involved in things about which they know little to nothing and which do not affect them in any way. What ever happened to "Mind your own business"?

T.C., Dogs and cats are not analogous as the wild population often derives from escaped or released house pets. There are no male donkey house pets on Bonaire being released to propagate the species.

Neutering all the stallions will undoubtedly lead to extinction, not just population control.

T.C.,

Your analogy, as Doctorfish pointed out, doesn't hold water:

1) Donkeys are not cats or dogs which can easily hide in a hole.

2) The Donkey Sanctuary is not a pet shelter where people can go and adopt a donkey.

3) Your so-called proof is also proof of the intent to exterminate the donkey population, whether clearly stated or not. The two critical statements are in the first paragraph: "we will capture all donkeys that are still out on the streets" and "all stallions will be castrated" (emphasis added). You don't need a lawyer to put the two together.

4) Bonaire is a very small island where such project of extermination could be easily pulled off.

You may call this internet sensationalism all you want, but it doesn't change what is expressly stated in the very document you provided.

I don't get the infatuation with the donkeys on Bonaire. They aren't native animals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom