Shore Diving Made Easy Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brodydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Our first trip to Bonaire is in October. I have the 5th edition of Bonaire Shore
Diving Made Easy? How essential is it to get the newest 6th edition since we haven't been before? I read somewhere that some info on entrances and so forth may have changed since the 5th edition.

Can anyone confirm new and important info given in new edition?

had no idea you need to take a book, we just packed and went
the dive shop gave us a briefing and a map, afaic you don't need any book, the island is small enough you can drive around and make your own decision on the entries

Concur with t4e. I think you'll be well served with that version.

Just remember; whatever the resort tells you, Salt Pier is open for diving; no guide required. They may get you to shell out $40 for a guide, but it's one of the easiest dives on Bonaire. Don't feed their rip-off!

T.C. these are great news, I am going to Bonaire for the first time in October with my fiancee and we really thought that the Salt Pier required to schedule a guide.

Concur with t4e. I think you'll be well served with that version.

Just remember; whatever the resort tells you, Salt Pier is open for diving; no guide required. They may get you to shell out $40 for a guide, but it's one of the easiest dives on Bonaire. Don't feed their rip-off!

T.C. these are great news, I am going to Bonaire for the first time in October with my fiancee and we really thought that the Salt Pier required to schedule a guide.
NOPE! I have confirmed this via email with the director of the salt plant. The resorts will tell you there's a guide requirement; but that is just an attempt to get you to pay more money. As long as there is not a ship coming, you can dive it just like any other shore site.

You'll know if there's a ship coming; they post a guard, and put out a big sign saying "No Diving".

---------- Post added July 29th, 2014 at 06:15 PM ----------

I have a Dive guide on PDF that works great- I'd be happy to email it to anyone; just PM me with your email address. I'll send it tomorrow when I'm back at work. (Government internet is faster than mine)

You do not need the latest addition. Compare the book to
Info Bonaire - Map of All Bonaire Dive Sites

We bought a book and I used it to plan dives,as we had snorkelers with us as well as newly certified, so I was looking specifically for easy entry and good snorkeling sites. The book helped me plan in advance. For the most part we did the dives I had planned plus a few suggested by the dive shop. We did not know that you could do the salt piers without a guide, so we missed that. Maybe next time.

Our first trip to Bonaire is in October. I have the 5th edition of Bonaire Shore
Diving Made Easy? How essential is it to get the newest 6th edition since we haven't been before? I read somewhere that some info on entrances and so forth may have changed since the 5th edition.

Can anyone confirm new and important info given in new edition?
Not essential at all. To point out the obvious, the dives sites do not move around very much.

Best entrances are always "near" the yellow rocks. YMMV depending upon current water conditions. It is up to you to choose the best entrance approach on any given day. It does vary. A book will never be right all (any?) of the time.

If you want up to the minute dive site restrictions check with the local authorities. Note that your dive resort / operation is not necessarily considered an authority.

P.S. Or you can totally wuss out like I do and just dock dive. Dock diving conditions are always great in Bonaire.

This winter will be the 4th time we have rented a house in Bonaire for a month. I have both Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy (caribbeandiveguides.com) and Dive Guide Bonaire and use them both. It is true that things change but we have found some really great info in both of them. We have friends that come for a week or 2 and it really helps them to sort out where they want to try. Usually after dinner we get the books out and plan our next day. We get our tanks from Dive Friends and they are also a wealth of information. We love that they have multiple locations to pick up and drop off tanks. Since it is your first time to Bonaire I would recommend that you get one of the books!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom