How comprehensive is "Full car insurance" in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking of renting a car from A B Car Rental in Bonaire for my trip. They offer a good package that includes airport pick-up and drop off. In addition to the mandatory CDW insurance cover that comes with the package, I indent to purchase the $8 a day "full" insurance cover for the duration of my week there.

My question is, how 'full' is this Full Insurance? Bonaire being Bonaire, does it cover for break-ins? Of course, I'll not even leave a handkerchief in the car.

I am thinking of renting a car from A B Car Rental in Bonaire for my trip. They offer a good package that includes airport pick-up and drop off. In addition to the mandatory CDW insurance cover that comes with the package, I indent to purchase the $8 a day "full" insurance cover for the duration of my week there.

My question is, how 'full' is this Full Insurance? Bonaire being Bonaire, does it cover for break-ins? Of course, I'll not even leave a handkerchief in the car.

AFAIK, it covers everything about the vehicle, so you're not stuck on the island trying to argue about who is going to pay for what.

I don't believe it covers any of your stuff.

AFAIK, it covers everything about the vehicle, so you're not stuck on the island trying to argue about who is going to pay for what.

I don't believe it covers any of your stuff.
Thanks. Me and my stuff are all covered right up to 40 metres in both directions. But they do not cover a rental car but if as you say, AB's 'Full Insurance' covers everything, the extra $8 a day would certainly be worth it.

paying by credit card? check to see what coverage your card provider offers.

AB has their terms and conditions online at: AB Car Rental Bonaire - Terms Conditions I recommend you read it and they respond to emails very quickly if you have any questions. One question I would have for them (and I will ask next time - may 2015!) is in regards to the terms I extracted below. If you take full insurance coverage is "Damage due to burglary and theft" still NOT covered unless a police report proves not your fault... I may even explicitly ask IF in a moment of weakness I mistakenly rolled up the windows and locked the doors and someone breaks the window, am I liable... Leave the car unlocked!

• CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) mandatory
    • The own risk deductible amounts to US$ 550.00 excl. 6% sales tax for any and all damage to the rented vehicle resulting from a collision/accident caused by the renter or an unknown third party. The renter is fully liable for any and all damage to the rented vehicle amounting to less than aforementioned amount.
    • Damage due to burglary and theft is not covered by the insurance.
    • The own risk deductible amounts to US$ 550.00 excl. 6% sales tax for any and all damage inflicted upon any third parties resulting from a collision due to the renter's fault.
  • Only if a police report can be submitted proving that the renter had not left any valuables in the vehicle and had put the key away in a safe place, will the renter not be liable for any damage to the rented vehicle resulting from theft of (parts of) the vehicle or from burglary. In all other cases the renter is fully reliable. The word 'valuables' includes items such as: mobile phones and/or accessories, cameras and/or accessories, diving gear and diver's watches, jewels, wallets, instruments of payment such as credit cards.

Also important that you do not drink, drive, and crash.

There have been a number of threads in the past related to coverage by credit card and as I recall there may be issues related to the fact that the rental is offshore and the issue of truck versus car. I assume coverage varies with credit card companies. My own practice hes been to just pony up for the full coverage regardless.

Last year, our truck was smashed at night in the Buddy Dive lot and we were able to walk away at the end of the week without additional payment or argument.
It felt at the time as if the full coverage was a bargain.

• Only if a police report can be submitted proving that the renter had not left any valuables in the vehicle and had put the key away in a safe place, will the renter not be liable for any damage to the rented vehicle resulting from theft of (parts of) the vehicle or from burglary. In all other cases the renter is fully reliable. The word 'valuables' includes items such as: mobile phones and/or accessories, cameras and/or accessories, diving gear and diver's watches, jewels, wallets, instruments of payment such as credit cards.

Good point. I have just paid the deposit and confirmed a car with AB for the duration with full coverage. I asked a leading question about break-ins and Diana specifically replied that I was covered.

How can a police report 'prove' that one did not lose something? I do not intend to leave anything behind - not even the soiled shorts mentioned before :wink:. That being the case, if I have the misfortune of my car being broken into, I have to report it to the police. Naturally, the police are going to ask me what I lost and I'm going to say "nothing" - which is what should appear on the Police Report. In that case, the full insurance should cover it by way of thinking.

As far as I'm concerned the full coverage was worth it just for the fact that you can hop in it and go when you pick it up and pretty much drop it off an leave at the end of your trip. No looking it over for scratches etc. either way.

Reactions: gbf
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom