Oil Slick Leap Surprise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deedeediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Had a great dive there yesterday.
FYI: Caution: Upon coming up the ladder, Surprise,the lower rung is damaged, step to each side because it bends in the middle, BUT there are two rungs missing above so the step up onto the first rung available was quite huge... I was lucky my husband pushed my tank to help me step up.
He saw it ahead of time, so he was able to step on the sides where the rungs had been mounted.
Hope this is helpful to anyone diving oil slick leap.

Dang, I thought you were going to say you saw a mermaid or something cool like that...good info though!

I did not like the security and stability of that ladder the last time I climbed it in 2010, and can only imagine that it has continued to deteriorate. Sooner or later someone is going to get seriously injured trying to climb that ladder.

I don't assume it's always the same latter. On one trip in the past few years, the ladder was gone. I don't know whether it was simply put back or replaced with a different one. I wonder who has it installed?

Richard.

I didn't have any issues with the ladder in May, on any of our dives on the site. Of course, I only climbed UP the ladder, maybe going down is dangerous :wink:

I've been to Bonaire twice, in 2012 and 2013. The first time, the ladder was missing one step. The next year it was in perfect condition. I guess it is constantly breaking and being repaired. They should probably make a sturdier one.

I agree to all, December/January all the rungs were there...... It is dangerous if the rungs are missing, some folks will not be able to climb out. I thought there was a sponser for that ladder,,, I think Hiltop Bonaire??? I will have to check again when I go by there tomorrow or the next day or so.
At one point it was closed because the ladder was soooo bad.
Maybe I will go by Stinapa and inquire, that seems like the best thing to do:)

There is a sign that says Caribbean Club Bonaire maintains it. Might be worth stopping in their dive shop and mentioning the issue. The ladder was fine when I was there at Christmas.

There is a sign that says Caribbean Club Bonaire maintains it. Might be worth stopping in their dive shop and mentioning the issue. The ladder was fine when I was there at Christmas.

Thanks Da,,, yep that is the name Caribbean Club,, maybe at one time it was called Hilltop(?) I dont know, but I think I will inquire first at Stinapa to see if there is still a sponsor and if there is , I will let them know about the repairs needed. :)

Back
Top Bottom