Fifth time to the island.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deco_martini

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Rarest find thus far in all trips: harlequin pipefish (suck on that frogfish finders!)

Trip number five.
1. Capriccio's was closed this week. God almighty. Sonia Home just doesn't compare.
2. Had a reward miles ticket, booked a Sand Dollar Condo (wifi in room!), Buddy Dive for Nitrox, and Telerin for truck.
3. This trip we solidly back the Pizza Temple at Rum Runner's over Pasa Bon Pizza. Try one with ham, shrooms, and parma ham.
4. Sour cherry pie from Gio's was amazing.
5. We are at Between 2 Buns for lunch every day. We can't get enough of this place. Try the specials, try the sandwiches, branch out.
6. We decided to never visit Paradise Moon (aka, Diver's Diner) again. It just isn't good. This is like Applebees at sea. If you want a huge portion of mediocre food, this place is for you. The average diner was an obese american. Saw a lot of diner's soloing those huge pizzas, getting appetizers before their entrees, and such. With so much amazing food on the island, there really isn't a reason to eat at this place.

So. After using a few different places for air the past few years, I was really happy using Buddy dive for air. Their drive-through setup and dry shack is nice. Air closing at 5 wasn't too much of a pain.

Saw a seahorse in the sand before bari reef.

Still no Frogfish...

We went on a UV night dive with VIP diving. Great experience. Would not do it again, but though it was a nice one-and-done dive.

Went into the Barcadera wet cave. After doing this in a speedo and scuba booties, I can honestly recommend you not do it. This is sort of a rip off. You have to pay a guide to go here. Why? You really want a rope for getting down and back up. Inside is a small pool you can "snorkel" in that you might see in their pictures. This is really the twilight zone of the cave and you never get complete dark. I'm not sure it is worth paying for, so just don't bother.

Uncommon finds this trip:
whip coral shrimp
2 different types of mantis shrimps
an entire hour long dive without spotting a lionfish (seriously, I wish I'd had a lionfish prod this trip)
Saw several large green morays.
Did not see as many fireworms as normal.

Some poor soul was standing in the airport on the way back with a cast on his leg. I asked him what happened. He went to Red Slave, saw dolphins, and broke his leg getting out of the water. How are those odds?

Thanks for the review! It seems our dining preferences align fairly closely. We also love Bari and Sand Dollar and Telerin!

Thanks for the great trip report. Heading there in a few weeks for MY #5 visit with 3 newbees. What was your average temp? My previous 4 times I went in January. Also, did you try the Cactus Blue food truck or see it around the kiteboard beach still? Thx!

thnx for sharing

Thanks for the great trip report. Heading there in a few weeks for MY #5 visit with 3 newbees. What was your average temp? My previous 4 times I went in January. Also, did you try the Cactus Blue food truck or see it around the kiteboard beach still? Thx!

We saw the truck there. Problem was we were never down that way at lunchtime. We were solidly Between 2 Buns for lunch.

Rarest find thus far in all trips: harlequin pipefish (suck on that frogfish finders?

I got living breathing video proof of them frog fish.

Pics or that pipefish didn't happen (or it was plastic)

The pipefish was actually a find on the last dive of one trip. I had to do some research after seeing it to ID it.

link to previous trip report:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bo...pid-apr-29-may-7-@-den-laman.html#post5882068

Three posts down I mention a weird scorpionfish we saw. Thanks to Ellen Mueller's pictures I have finally been able to ID that as a coral scorpionfish.

Before a trip I glance at:
Ellen Mueller's pbase: Ellen Muller's Photo Galleries at pbase.com
Ned Deloach's article on the town pier: Town Pier in Bonaire, the Best Night Dive in the Caribbean, now closed but hopefully not for long

That set's up my pattern recognition filters for the diving. Helped me spot wire coral shrimp, long spine urchin shrimp, and other tiny things.

Back
Top Bottom