Trip Report / Video ~ Oct. 04-19, 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bonairefans

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We are wrapping up our 15-days on Bonaire. We were fortunate enough to encounter a pod of dolphins on our 50th and final dive at Margate Bay…very special, indeed.

Our shore dive package broke down to $5.60 a dive.

$5.60 a dive?

What an unbelievable bargain for so many incredible experiences:

[video=youtube;okJQjb8pUIE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okJQjb8pUIE[/video]

Travel logistics

Air: We flew United Airlines Chico CA - BON. We had a forced overnight in Houston due to UA’s IAH-BON schedule change last November. Although this itinerary disruption was clearly addressed by UA’s Rule 24 of its Contract of Carriage, it was only after a long battle that we were issued hotel/food vouchers for IAH.

Truck Rental: The days when it was possible to get a 13-day truck rental using AmEx for $430 ended when ABCar rental stopped accepting that credit card. It appears that it is no longer possible to get a truck for less than $50/day, even with declining CDW. Avis accepts AmEx, but we paid a no-bargain $663 for 13 days. AmEx coverage is voided if the renter violates contract language, and Avis demands that the vehicle be secured with windows up and doors locked. We kept our truck locked at southern dive sites and never had any problems; might be a different matter securing one’s vehicle at the northern sites.

We drove 560 km and paid a total of $88. for gas.

Dive Shop: What’s not to love about Dive Friends ~ Port Bonaire? Excellent, helpful staff. Tanks are generously filled, and the shop is well-organized and clean. Rinse tanks are maintained, and it’s easy to back right up to the air tanks and then take-off for the next dive.

Port Bonaire ~ Oceanscape. This is our second year at Port Bonaire, and we really enjoy it. You can’t beat the convenient location. After retrieving your suitcases at the airport, just toss them on a cart and roll across the street. The next morning, it’s an easy walk to both the car rental offices and the dive shop.

We encountered 59 sea turtles on this trip, 51 greens and 8 hawksbills. Bonaire is a great place to observe mid-sized juvenile sea turtles.

It was unseasonably windy the first week here, and the water temp dropped to 79 degrees. Due to luggage weight restrictions, our wet suits were left at home; we started to get chilled by the 4th dive of the day. By week 2, the temp climbed to 81 degrees, and we were comfortable in skins, shorties, and beanies.

Trip #17 is concluding well…

Wow, nice video! Sounds like you had a great trip. In 4 trips I have seen only one spotted eagle ray and it looked like you saw several. The dolphins were a real bonus for sure. We are headed there in early December and I am hoping to get some video footage along with my usual still photos. The video camera will hopefully keep my wife busy while I snap away. :wink:

Congrats on a great trip and thanks for getting me even more excited.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom