My twist on the usual "Where to stay?" thread...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My buddy and I are thinking about a trip in December. We've been to Bonaire before and are pretty familiar with the island; hoping to get some specific recommendations beyond the typical "you can't go wrong anywhere" information available on other threads here.

In order to gain approval from the wives, we're trying to figure out the lowest-cost arrangements we can come up with, that include the following:

Accommodation Mandatories:
- two beds (I'd share AIR with Dave if need be, but I ain't sharing a bed)
- kitchen/kitchenette
- safe/secure location
- WIFI and TV
- Clean
- Decent beds with decent sheets/blankets/pillows

Accommodation Niceties
- On water with at least a decent house reef
- On site dive op
- Walking distance to town/restaurants/bars

Dive Package Mandatories (Whether onsite or off...)
- Unlimited Nitrox fills, with ability to grab at least three tanks each
- Decent trucks

Dive Package Niceties
- A handful of cheap boat dives (we're content to do nothing but shore diving, but are open to a few dives over at Klein Bonaire)

We're open to renting an individual apartment/condo from VRBO or similar and arranging our own "dive-and-drive" package with a dive op instead of staying at a "dive resort" if anyone knows of any specific properties.

Dave and I are from NJ, so we're pretty easy to please. Give us decent value for the money, let us dive when/where/how we want, no surprises, and promptly address any issues/problems if they do occur... and we're pretty happy.

Thanks in advance for any insights and info that folks can offer.

Best regards,

Ray Purkis

Bruce Bowkers' Carib Inn...http://www.caribinn.com/

since you'd like to walk to town and be waterfront - about the only other option is the Divi. But they don't have kitchens.

Blachi Koko apts. next to the Divi resort does - the 1BR apts have a kitchen and 2 single beds - there's only two of them though. It's across the street from the water and there's a couple buildings in front of it. You can walk to to the Divi or they have package deals with Wannadive but you'd have to drive to one of their locations. http://www.blachikokobonaire.com/en/index.html

I didn't check for Wifi at any of these^.

The northern dive resorts, Habitat, Buddys, Eden Beach etc. aren't the cheapest and are too far to walk to town IMO. There's some options in Belnem also south of the airport but all will require a drive to town (or the Plaza Resort) for food.

Last edited:
Hi Ray,

I have only been to Bonaire 3 times, stayed at Sand Dollar condos twice, Den Lamen once, both right on the water. I would consider staying at Den Lamen in a studio. These have full kitchens, we cooked nearly all our breakfasts and lunches and went out for dinner most evenings. The cost is $711 pp with unlimited shore dives and $840 pp with 6 boat dives. The boats go out 3 times per day for 1 tank dives. You can choose your days, times, destinations, a nice option, well worth it in my opinion. As for a house reef, I'm not sure Bari Reef has an equal. Great dives day and night. At Den Lamen, diving with BD&A, you have access to the very nice dock to make your dives. Next door, at Sand Dollar, diving with Dive Friends, you do not have access to the dock for either shore or your boat dives. The extra convenience for house reef and boat dives make getting in 4-5 dives per day a piece of cake. You don't need to walk into town with your included truck, few places really meet this criteria. This might not be the right choice for you, but worth looking in to. I will stay at Den Lamen on my next visit.

Good diving, Craig

Bari is 2 miles from Town Pier. Farther than I'd want to walk personally. If not, check Eden Beach also - they are often cheaper. And slightly closer to town being the next resort south of Den Laman past the empty field. Some of their studios have twin beds and full kitchens. Around $1000 pp. add $100 for 6 boat dives thru Wannadive on-site. http://www.edenbeach.com/en/packages.php#targetAnchorPage2

There's also something there now called Spice Beach Club. No idea what that is except maybe a re-worked Bongoes. Which was a nice bar waterfront on the sand.

In Feb we stayed at Playa Lechi unit: Kralendijk Vacation Rental - VRBO 489003 - 2 BR Bonaire Condo, Ocean Front Condo at Playa Lechi Residences W/ Dive Locker.

While my suggestion checks off most of the boxes, it is not ocean front. You have a street between you and the beach. Ocean view is unobstructed. A stone's throw away is Dive Friends Bonaire Yellow Submarine location. House dive site is good, but not as good as Den Laman or Hamlet Oasis. Easy 10 minute walk to downtown. The secure dive locker and rinse tank in the parking lot was a huge bonus. When I return to Bonaire, I will definitely stay here again.

Another option is Bonaire vacation rentals which is next door to Playa Lechi. We stayed here 1.5 years ago. My husband and I rented a one bedroom unit from VRBO. They also have 2 bedroom units. Sleek, modern units, but the pool is postage stamp sized. Right next door to Dive Friends Bonaire and a 10 minute walk downtown.

Next Feb, my GF and I, along with four other peoples will be staying at Den Laman for two weeks; us in a fully furnished studio and the two others in separate one bedroom apartments. Ten other folks will be renting a five bedroom house about 800 meters away. It is close to town, on the water (right on Bari's reef) and we picked the unlimited shore dive/transportation/studio package.

Divi Flamingo. We stayed there the first time we were there and elsewhere since as out kids grew. I believe they are now offering free geezer gas along with a nice house reef and great lockers. It is an easy stumble downtown and quick trip to the southern sites.

Don't pass up Coral Paradise. It meets the mandatories list. Get a dive package with Buddy Dive (despite Capt' Don's being next door). The units are nice and clean, the grounds secure, and the owners are two of the nicest people on the island.

Coral Paradise would not meet the walk to town criterion.
The time share units at the Divi have kitchenettes if my memory serves me.

Back
Top Bottom