Bonaire for newbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cakitcha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Heys guys!

I will be in Bonaire in December with my buddy. We have got our open water certification recently,so we are both very inexperienced divers. As diving around here is very expensive, we have decided to simply go to Bonaire and dive as much as possible.

I have talked to dive shops there and they all said shore diving is easy,even for beginners like us. I'm still a bit nervous though, do you guys have some tips for us? Would it be a better idea to do some boat dives first?

Thank you in advance 😉

You are required to do a check out orientation dive from shore in front of the dive shop before any boat diving. If you are staying at one of the resorts, the diving does not get any easier than from shore in front. Ladder, calm water, lack of currents and easy navigation as it is all mini wall.

Not a bad idea to do some boat dives as there is always a DM in the water with you and that's the only way to dive the Klein Bonaire sites.

Read the other threads on the Bonaire forum (that'll keep you busy for a week or so).

You didn't mention where you are staying but there might be an orientation dive on the house reef to do before you head out on your own. That'll make you more comfortable. As Doctorfish said, you might want to try a boat dive or two just to get your diving legs under you. I'd head to the sites south of the town and start there. Get out of the truck and evaluate where the best entry location is on the beach and walk out and enjoy yourself.

Head up the reef for 20-30 minutes, turn around and head back. Head for the shore, do a safety stop on the way back to the beach and you're good to go. As soon as you are chest height, take off your fins and walk in to shore. Wait a bit and repeat as often as you like.

When you feel more comfortable diving there, you can head to the northern sites which can be a little more challenging to get in and out of. Or you can get a guide and try the east side of the island.

As I said, read the threads in the Bonaire forum and you'll be a very knowledgable first timer.

Jim

As others have said, there are LOADS of threads here in the Bonaire forum where people ask for first-timer advice. Lots of great information.

I am leaving for my 4th Bonaire trip this week. I was once one of those first-timers and had never even done any shore diving before, so I was full of trepidation. Up to that point, all my diving had been led by divemasters and off a boat. The idea of driving a rental truck out to some dive site on a map and just getting into the water kind of scared me. Here's the thread I posted back in 2009 asking for tips on shore diving in general, not specific to Bonaire:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/308115-shore-diving-advice-boat-diver.html

But there are plenty of other threads giving advice on Bonaire shore diving. Have fun!

I read a lot of posts,but I didnt see anything from very very inexperienced divers like me.. I sticked with more recent threads though
We will be staying in DiveHut,I believe they are not really in the shore
Thanks a lot for all the information guys! 😊

I read a lot of posts,but I didnt see anything from very very inexperienced divers like me.. I sticked with more recent threads though
We will be staying in DiveHut,I believe they are not really in the shore
Thanks a lot for all the information guys! 

If after reading the how-to threads you still do not feel confident enough to do it on your own, it is possible that Dive Hut or whatever dive operator you wish can arrange for you to hire a dive guide to show you how to do a few typical Bonaire shore dives. After that, you will be confident enough to do them on your own. It really is not difficult--just a matter of following the advice and, of course, remembering your training.

Keep reading this thread... You'll get 37 zillion responses. Everyone had a first time. I remember my first time... Very nervous but once I got in the water, all was good. There's very little current on the west side so it'll be as easy as diving at a lake back home. Probably easier because the visibility will be very good.

For your first shore dive, find the best entry spot. Don your gear, walk out until chest height or so. Put on your fins and go swimming. Go out as far as you're comfortable with (the reef is usually pretty close to the shore) and just swim around for a while. You don't have to make a major excursion the first dive. You'll get comfortable pretty quickly.

The only thing that made me uncomfortable was some of the shore entries had a lot of rocks and holes that I had trouble seeing because of the mild surf kicking up the sand. You get used to it pretty quickly. I'd recommend a full wetsuit (I use a 3/2) not for warmth but for protection in case you take a misstep and go for a little tumble. It'll protect you. Other than that, have fun, relax and don't do anything you're not comfortable with. When you get back, you'll be an old pro giving advise to other newbies.

Jim

Great visibility is what attracted me to Bonaire the most.. My checkout dives here in Brazil were aweful,very cold water and I could barely see a thing. I guess I will not be disappointed in Bonaire 😄

Get some hard soled boots. Do not try to shore dive there without them. Trust me.

Order a copy of "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy". Valuable advice within!

if you're really nervous, I'll make you an offer you can't refuse. Send me a plane ticket and I'll guide you to all the awesome spots all week long :)

Get some hard soled boots. Do not try to shore dive there without them. Trust me.

Order a copy of "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy". Valuable advice within!

if you're really nervous, I'll make you an offer you can't refuse. Send me a plane ticket and I'll guide you to all the awesome spots all week long :)

Good advice.

go online and look up Seasoft Sunray 3mm low cut boots. about $80.00

or when you are on the island go to Bruce Bowkers Caribe Inn he has the best prices on dive gear and when i was there in March of this year he had them in stock. I have had them for my last 4 trips to Bonaire and love them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom