Malicious & Delicious Lionfish Derby Nov 29-30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharksAreFriends

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm so sad I'll miss this, but hopefully some of you will be able to join!

Cut and pasted from infobonaire:

[h=2]STINAPA Hosts Malicious and Delicious to Celebrate the Bonaire National Marine Park’s 35th Birthday[/h]In connection with the 35th Anniversary of the Bonaire National Marine Park, STINAPA Bonaire is launching a lionfish derby and degustation. The event will take place on November 29th and 30th and will culminate in a celebratory Sunday afternoon party open to the public. The party will have the Bonaire Culinary Team present their signature Lion Fish Ceviche dish in an awareness-building event at Sunset Beach.
20141030-Stinapa.jpg
BNMP-certified lionfish hunters are invited to form teams of a maximum of four hunters for entry into the Malicious & Delicious Derby by removing the invasive lionfish. Different prizes will be awarded for different categories of catch (most caught, biggest, smallest). Download the event rules by clicking here.
The Bonaire Culinary Team will prepare three lionfish dishes to be offered to the general public. They will also be serving three goat dishes prepared with goats from the Washington Slagbaai National Park. All food dishes offered will be free of charge. However, in order to raise awareness of sustainable practices, it will be the object of the event to reduce (plastic) waste. For that reason, guests will be requested to come with their own wares and cutlery in order to receive free food. For those who do not bring their own wares, there will be biodegradable and compostable wares for sale, and re-use of these items will be promoted. CIEE Foundation and Karko Bonaire will participate with an information and awareness booth presenting the latest research on lionfish on Bonaire.
There will be music provided by Equal Rights & Justice, as well as DJs for the duration of the Sunday afternoon event. Activities for children will be organized, as well as a raffle for the general public. Prizes for the varying competitions and raffle are donated by local and international organizations. Thanks go to all the sponsors for helping make the Bonaire Marine Park’s 35th Anniversary a celebration: Bonaire Culinary Team, Cressi, Amcar, Bopec, Budget Car Rental, Divi Flamingo, Bonaire Food Group, Rum Runners, Sand Dollar Condominiums, Den Laman Apartments, Goooddive, Toucan Dive, Wannadive, WWF Holland, Zookeeper, Spice Beach Club. (Source: STINAPA)

Cool, I was there in August and enjoyed my lionfish burger quite a bit! I'd love to participate, I wonder if this is an annual thing?

I am having lionfish tonight for supper. I brought back some from Curacao

Yesterday 11 teams, with up to 4 hunters per team, harvested 630 lionfish. One team alone harvested 225 lionfish! Some photos are posted here.

The competition concluded at 1:30 PM today with after-party at Sunset Beach. I'm looking forward to learning the final tally.

---------- Post added November 30th, 2014 at 06:40 PM ----------

956 lionfish were removed by 11 volunteer diving teams during this 2 day event! Wow!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom