Divi Flamingo good fit for my group?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cuddlefish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've got a group of 14-20 divers going to Bonaire next fall. I'm thinking of steering them to Divi. About half of them will be content to do a couple of boat dives in the morning and maybe a dive from the dock in the afternoon...some of them will dive a ton from the dock...and a few would rent a truck and do more shore diving around the island. (These guys are not hard core shore divers.) They'd eat breakfast each day at the resort. Some would eat lunch/dinner at the resort...but many would want to wander into town on foot to find restaurant options. They don't need a fancy resort, but would want a good solid 3 star place that is clean and they definitely pay close attention to customer service at the resort and with the dive op. They all just got back from Fiji and are eager for us to all go out on another adventure together. Is Divi a good fit?

There are more than a few options, but from the sounds of it Divi would work good for your group. I think the easy walk to town and the restaurants close by would be a plus. For all the different types of divers it is easy to make arrangements no matter how much or how little they want to dive.

I think it sounds like a great fit. The lockers on the dock and boat diving is easy peasy. Proximity to downtown is great and their reef is fine. In the fall you shouldn't have to deal with cruise ships unless it is late fall. I wouldn't stay there during cruise ship season.

You should be fine at that time of the year. Cruise ship season just started last week. Here is the calendar for this year and I think you can safely extrapolate it into next year. I have to say that I really enjoyed Divi when I stayed there, it was my first time to the island, particularly for the boat diving as it was crazy easy and their dock is awesome. I have not stayed there since as I now prefer to shore dive but would not hesitate to stay there again if the situation was right. It is 3 stars on Bonaire in my estimation however, luxurious accommodations are pretty rare on the island. Harbor Village is likely the only place that is. My wife and I are staying at Bamboo Bali Bonaire in a few weeks and that looks really nice but is not on the water.

The other option would be the Plaza Resort south of the Divi - it's the only full AI resort also if you have anyone interested in that option. Toucan Diving is on-site - we've dove with them. They have a several smaller boats, one larger one - IIRC it's 12 divers limit on the smaller boats. We went one afternoon with just another couple - for $18 over our package price. The Scubaboard Invasion was there a couple years ago. http://www.plazaresortbonaire.eu/en

But it's a longer walk to town from there. If we define "town" as Town Pier downtown, the difference is the Divi is 4/10th of a mile from there, the north gate of the Plaza (where you'd exit if walking to town) is 3/4 of a mile.

Additionally the Plaza is a long resort so staying in the Junior Suites Ocean around the pool is 5-10 mins. closer than staying in the Junior Suites Laguna which are on the Lagoon and closer to the dive shop. Since 18Palms is also on the north end and the dive shop/lockers/boats on the SE on the lagoon so the logistics of house diving there aren't anywhere near as good as the Divi. I think 18 Palms is the better dive though - there's often a big school of baitfish and what that attracts (Tarpon). Toucan stages tanks there also.

Here' some detail in an aerial view - I marked Town Pier, the Divi and details for the Plaza. The Plaza pool, restaurants and Toucan Dive are obscured by that cloud. Just to the south of "Plaza" are the "Laguna" suites - a couple rows of brown roofs. Also the road on the far right is the one that circles around the Lagoon, past the airport and thru the small area of Belnem - 2 minutes past that is the Hooker wreck and the row of southern dive sites:

Capture.jpg

Many of the downtown restaurants they can walk to. I believe Zee Zicht is farther south than indicated also. On this map, the Divi is directly across from the Tropical Inn. I personally recommend It Rains Fishes and At Sea is supposed to be excellent also. Since you mention "customer service" - explain to the group that they'll likely have to ask for the check repeatedly. The servers aren't rude, you're they're guests and can stay as long as you want.

Capture2.JPG

Also here's another cruise schedule - it doesn't look like it'll be a problem. From either resort you'll definitely see the ships so dive south that day if you do. I have heard you can hear the ship from Divi's house reef underwater if they're idling on thrusters.

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Netherlands_Antilles/73-Bonaire/October_2015/

Last edited:
I think Plaza would be nice if ships are in town. I have not stayed there but it looks fine. I don't know about their operations but would guess they are good or otherwise they would be OOB.

I've got a group of 14-20 divers going to Bonaire next fall. I'm thinking of steering them to Divi. About half of them will be content to do a couple of boat dives in the morning and maybe a dive from the dock in the afternoon...some of them will dive a ton from the dock...and a few would rent a truck and do more shore diving around the island. (These guys are not hard core shore divers.) They'd eat breakfast each day at the resort. Some would eat lunch/dinner at the resort...but many would want to wander into town on foot to find restaurant options. They don't need a fancy resort, but would want a good solid 3 star place that is clean and they definitely pay close attention to customer service at the resort and with the dive op. They all just got back from Fiji and are eager for us to all go out on another adventure together. Is Divi a good fit?
You sound like lazy divers! Can I come?

The divi will be a great fit. We have used it many times for the reasons you note above. The dive op is well polished and competent. Boats are in good shape and dock diving is extremely easy (gear lockers & tanks on the dock) with lots of stuff to keep you interested. The resort is not fancy, but has several different types of rooms available. We do ocean front room with a mini fridge. the timeshare units have a full kitchen.

The morning boat provides two 40 minutes dives. It leaves the dock right in the middle of my breakfast (8:30?) and comes back just after my morning dive. The afternoon boat is one 60 minute dive.

They have 4 boats and will use more than is required. They are never jammed (unless some group books one full). I think they max each boat at 16 people, but are normally less full than that. We do the afternoon boat and usually have around 10 divers max (more divers == more boats).

Boat dives provide a tour guide, but you can dive your own profile with your buddy. they do set depth and time limits on the boat dives.

The breakfast buffet is "just fine". We grab stuff from the local Sunshine market and slap a sandwich together for lunch. Supper is always a walk into town after our twilight dive off the dock. At Sea is closest (best and most expensive) at a 7 minute walk from the far south end of the resort.

The ability to walk into town and less crowded boats is why we choose Divi over Captains Don's.

---------- Post added November 13th, 2014 at 01:03 AM ----------

P.S. Cruise ships are not an issue. Just remember to turn left as you head out as you are not allowed to dive under the cruise ships.

When docked, I have never heard a cruise ship. But one left port during a night dive and I was convinced it was going to run me down. The noise was extremely loud and you could feel the water vibrations pounding on your chest. An eye opener.

Thanks guys! This is very helpful. I think Divi suits our group just fine.

Good plan. I have stayed at both places and much prefer Divi for reasons listed by giffenk and diversteve.
Don't worry about ships. Unless they are coming or leaving, no big deal. I have experienced one pulling out of mooring while I was shore diving from Divi dock. Lots of noise and vibration. In a word, scary.
They give fair warning to their passengers with airhorn, so divers can heed this as well to time your dive.

The timeshare suites at Divi are quite nice.
I would not even think about an AI at Plaza, too many good cheap places to eat at around town. Also, too far from rooms to shop to shore dive site for convenience.
Also, you would not get the full island experience.

Buddy Dive and Habitat are good dive lodges with great shore diving but don't meet your needs in terms of walking to town.
Buddy dive runs a dive and drive package. One truck per 4 people. This would also be suitable if your group is OK with driving to town instead of walking. Buddy Dive and Habitat are completely away from cruise ship mooring as well. Worth considering.

Back
Top Bottom