Bonaire East Coast Diving - Sunday OK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have booked my place for 2 morning dives with Bonaire East Coast Diving for Sunday 24th May 2015. As might be expected, I am the only guest this far ahead and I know that BECD require at least 3 divers to make the morning trip. They also say that if the numbers do not add-up on the day, they will reschedule a diver or divers to the next available date.

The problem for me is that I will be in Bonaire only for a week and am fitting the East Coast visit within a busy schedule of "regular" diving with VIP Divers. I leave on the following Tuesday late morning. Therefore, my window for rescheduling, should that become necessary, is limited to just one day - Monday morning instead of Sunday and just about make the no-dive surface interval before the flight.

My question to Bonaire regulars is whether Sundays in general and in May in particular are good or bad days to choose to go East Coast diving? Obviously, with plenty of spaces still available, I want to choose one of the more popular days to ensure that there will be at least 2 other divers. If necessary, I can request a change to my booking now to another day of that week and reschedule the "regular" diving with Bas Noij. But once I am already there it will be more awkward.

Sunday is indeed awkward. Many people arrive on Saturday and still getting themselves oriented and organized on Sunday. Then they go home the following Saturday.
Saturday is the worst day of all (comings and goings), followed by Friday (the off-gassing day for many).

Weds and Thursday seem popular for the East Coast, but Mon and Tuesday are OK.

Hey Hintermann,
I would actually ask BECD if they already have dives scheduled during that time frame. I have a feeling - (which is probably wrong :)) that most divers book that dive once on the island unless they have already been there a week and are staying a second one.
I hope I am on the island then because I would like to do the dive on the 24th but cannt guarantee it.
That is definitely a dive you dont want to miss out on- especially if the wind and water conditions are great.
I would ask them directly when it gets closer.

Thanks people. When I first enquired, BECD did say that Sunday can be a bit awkward and suggested that I keep checking and change it closer to the time if necessary. But I do not want to mess-up my arrangement with VIP.

I arrive on Tuesday 19th May night and am scheduled to do the Bonaire orientation course on Wednesday morning with Bas Noij, followed by 2 dives. I think it would be best to do the second day with VIP as well, which leaves me with Friday, Saturday, the existing booking on Sunday and Monday for BECD.

Since Tursiops advises that Saturday is (understandably) the worst choice, it leaves me with Friday, Sunday and Monday. Will I have a better chance if I change to either Friday or Monday?

There is always the "good" Thursday of course, but that would mean going to the East Coast after only 2 "regular" dives. Having just come off Socorro the previous week it is obviously not a problem to me but will BECD or anyone else frown at the prospect?

I don't know if you have an established relationship with BECD or not. If not, you may want to consider diving the East side with Bas Tol. His specialty is shore diving the East side anywhere from beginning to advanced sites. It should not matter the number in your group since all his services are not dependent on group size.

http://www.basdiving.com/

Last edited:
I don't know if you have an established relationship with BECD or not. If not, you may want to consider diving the East side with Bas Tol. His specialty is shore diving the East side anywhere from beginning to advanced sites. It should not matter the number in your group since all his services are not dependent on group size.

BAS Diving
I know. In fact, Bas Tol was the first guy I contacted about East Coast diving and at one stage I even thought that I had an arrangement with him. But for some reason he withdrew a few months ago and it was he who gave me the BECD link. Perhaps he is already full-up or otherwise busy in the week that I am in Bonaire.

Sorry to bring this up again but I have contacted BECD but they were rather cagey with their answer when I asked whether Friday or Monday would a better option than Sunday for East Coast diving. They hinted that I should change to Friday on their assumption that I might like it so much and come back on Monday. But I have made arrangements with Bas Noij for "regular" Bonaire dives and do not want to upset it.

The way things are, my first day of diving in Bonaire (with VIP) will be a Wednesday and I would rather keep Thursday for the same. That brings me to Friday and if it not so good as some people here have commented, I will change my arrangement with BECD from Sunday to Monday.

One advantage of the Monday change is that I'll get an extra 'regular' dive with Bas Noij on Sunday. Had I gone to the East Coast to do two morning dives on Sunday, I might have had to miss the afternoon dive. Monday on the other hand is my last diving day in Bonaire and I am allowed only 2 morning dives because of the flight time on Tuesday. That would suit East Coast diving very well.

My final plan would then be regular diving (4 dives a day) on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday with VIP Divers and 2 morning dives with BECD on Monday. Does that sound OK?

I would pick Monday over Sunday. Due to flight schedules many people don't arrive on Bonaire until too late on Saturday to do BMP Orientation unless the do the Friday night red-eye from Houston. We didn't arrive until about 5PM for example - on one of the mostly full of divers flights from the U.S.

So they tend to do that at the resorts on Sunday between 9-10:30AM. So even if someone immediately wanted to do the BECD dive afterwards, they're probably too late since there's the dive plus clean-up time after the lecture/video.

I think the previous poster is right also - I found out about Larry's (former owner) because I saw his Zodiac in town towed behind his truck with a sign. Before that we'd planned to do all our dives with our resort operator.

You might check with Menno at Goodiving also. When he had a RIB, he used to go out there. But now they've moved into town and gotten a bigger boat so may not be able to anymore. Best Scuba Diving Trips on Bonaire | Check here where our boat dives go this week. Maybe they still do later in the week on demand.

If I were in your situation I would use Bas Tol for the East Coast. We have used him in the past and he is very professional and very accommodating. Here is his website. BAS Diving

I would pick Monday over Sunday. Due to flight schedules many people don't arrive on Bonaire until too late on Saturday to do BMP Orientation unless the do the Friday night red-eye from Houston. We didn't arrive until about 5PM for example - on one of the mostly full of divers flights from the U.S.

So they tend to do that at the resorts on Sunday between 9-10:30AM. So even if someone immediately wanted to do the BECD dive afterwards, they're probably too late since there's the dive plus clean-up time after the lecture/video.

I think the previous poster is right also - I found out about Larry's (former owner) because I saw his Zodiac in town towed behind his truck with a sign. Before that we'd planned to do all our dives with our resort operator.

You might check with Menno at Goodiving also. When he had a RIB, he used to go out there. But now they've moved into town and gotten a bigger boat so may not be able to anymore. Best Scuba Diving Trips on Bonaire | Check here where our boat dives go this week. Maybe they still do later in the week on demand.

If I were in your situation I would use Bas Tol for the East Coast.
As I have already mentioned above, I did choose Bas Tol originally for diving in the East Coast. He initially agreed but after a few months pulled out and suggested that I try with Bonaire East Coast Diving. I think Bas Tol is otherwise busy in the week that I am in Bonaire.

In any case, I made the decision, contacted BECD and changed my diving day with them from Sunday to Monday. Fred has confirmed this by e-mail and I have let Bas Noij know as well, so that I can continue diving with VIP all of Sunday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom