Anyone stayed at Den Lamen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a great location but I've intentionally avoided the property because I don't like the stories I've heard about the curmudgeonly owner of the on-site dive operation. (The dive operation, Bonaire Dive & Adventure, isn't owned by Den Laman.) In response to complaints about BDA from guests and condo owners at Sand Dollar condos, located next door to Den Laman, Sand Dollar invited Dive Friends Bonaire to open a satellite shop on their property a couple of years ago.

Of course you can always stay at Den Laman and use an off-site dive operator like Dive Friends Bonaire, Buddy Dive, or WannaDive. All 3 of those companies are well respected and have multiple locations where you can pick up or drop off tanks. But you won't have the convenience of boarding a dive boat right at your apartment and BDA won't let you use their dock if you aren't diving with them. However, you can easily just walk into the water from shore instead of using the dock.

Here's a previous thread discussing the BDA situation. It also contains a trip report with info about the Den Laman property.

Last year my husband and I joined some friends in Bonaire whom have been diving on the island for over 10 years. They discovered Den Laman several years ago and will not stay anywhere else on the island. The units are clean, modern, peaceful and access to the dock and beach are unobstructed. My friend who has some back issues requires a dock with ladder for entry and exit. Over the years they have formed a friendship with the BDA team. By the time my husband and I made our reservation, all one bedroom units were booked. We decided to rent a condo near Dive Friends Yellow Submarine which is the dive op we used in the past. The downside being a road between our unit and the ocean. It was not a big deal since it was still quiet and ocean views unobstructed. The unit was larger with furnishings much nicer than Den Laman, at a fraction of the price.

Since Bari Reef is one of our favorites we joined our friends at that particular site several times. At one point our friends asked the BDA manager if we could join their party on the dock since we were all diving together and eating lunch at the onsite restaurant. He was adamant in denying that request. No big deal, we simply grabbed a tank from the Sand Dollar location and wave at our friends on the BDA dock and group up prior to descending. All of this while under the stink eye of the BDA manager. At the end of one dive I swam up to the dock to return one of my friends Gopro camera. Andre the BDA manager came running down the dock towards me. I swam off quickly to the easy beach entry and exit at Sand Dollar.

If you can get a good price, the Den Laman units are amazing. However, based on principle alone, I would never use the BDA dive shop and they will never get a penny of my money. The friendly service and quality of tank fills at Dive Friends Bonaire are what make me a repeat customer.

Simply amazing some of the stories of poor customer service that abound in both the travel and dive industries.

Is it really that difficult for these people to just Do The Right Thing?

This will be our first trip there and you never know about places until you ask. Thanks so much! I'll gladly take any suggestions.

I have stayed there a number of times, love to rooms. BDAs owner can be a horses rear but if you are staying at DL and using them, it has not been a problem for me. I would not avoid DL because of him but if there was a better option and I could still use the dock I would. Bottom line, IMO I would not avoid DL due to BDA...by the way, the rest of the staff is fine.

I have stayed there a number of times, love to rooms. BDAs owner can be a horses rear but if you are staying at DL and using them, it has not been a problem for me. I would not avoid DL because of him but if there was a better option and I could still use the dock I would. Bottom line, IMO I would not avoid DL due to BDA...by the way, the rest of the staff is fine.

When I've stayed at Den Laman I've used BDA and had no issues.

From what I read, BD&A leases that dock, so I presume they use it as a feature hoping to get more people to stay with them. Just south of that area is a little round-about, and one of the turn-offs is to a path that takes you down to shore access without having to worry about such.

Richard.

The Bari parking lot (as we think of it--the western-most turn from the roundabout) has been scraped clear and the access from the parking lot in front of Den Laman has been cleaned up, so it's less aesthetical-like but easier than ever. Bari, of course, remains entirely pleasant, plus there's good stuff under that dock, no matter who leases it.

The units are nice
The location is top shelf.
Andre is an ass...
One item of note is that the ocean front lani's receive a lot of direct sunlight so there is not as much shade as you might think there would be.

DD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom