Buddy Dive in Bonaire - How is the on-site Photo Center?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NY Knight

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, all -- I'm headed to Bonaire in May, and have some questions about Buddy Dive's Photo Center. Their website only says that they HAVE one, but offers no details.

I'm an experienced Photoshop user, and need access to full Camera-RAW-editing capabilities. Will I be disappointed?

Do they charge hourly, or is there a weekly open-access option?

Mac or Windows? How many workstations? Long wait times? Do the workstations read photo cards, or do you need to hook up your camera via USB?

Any info would be much appreciated!! :D

--Diver Nan

You will likely be disappointed. It does not have any access to do-it-yourself...there are no workstations, etc. It rents gear, offers advice, teaches in-water classes, and does some limited processing themselves. The owners - John Wall and his wife Susie Schmidt - used to own The Dive Shop in Virginia, and moved there when their daughter married a local. They are fine folks, fun to talk to, knowledgable, but do not offer what you are hoping for. People take their own laptops and do their own things in their own rooms.

I suggest you email John and tell him what you want and get his advice. He may be able to send you somewhere else in Bonaire.
You can get at him through the main Buddy Dive email address.

I'm an experienced Photoshop user, and need access to full Camera-RAW-editing capabilities. Will I be disappointed?

Do they charge hourly, or is there a weekly open-access option?

Mac or Windows? How many workstations? Long wait times? Do the workstations read photo cards, or do you need to hook up your camera via USB?
None of the above most likely afaik...lol.

Buddy-Dive---Digital-Photo-Center.jpg

It's a camera rental shop with a classroom nearby for teaching how to use the camera u/w. It's not a post-production editing facility. There's a computer there they can use to play videos on the TV. Mostly for classes/ BMP orientation. http://www.thescubadivingdirectory.com/images/com_sobi2/gallery/45/45_image_7.jpg

Fisheye Photo is at Den Laman Condos - just south of Buddy's past Sand Dollar. They have a couple workstations set up for customer use. No idea what they are currently though - I believe this shot is from around 2005 when they opened there. Fish Eye Photo

fisheye-photo-high.jpg

Well, THAT'S depressing, Tursiops and Diver Steve. I actually stayed at Den Laman 3 years ago, and back THEN, anyway, the photo facilities were little more than a way to back off your photo card. Which was helpful, but not what I'm looking for now.

Looks like I might have to rent a laptop for the week. (My non-diving, non-traveling partner won't part with OUR laptop for the week. Soooo selfish… :wink: )

THANKS, guys!

Not sure I understand why the original question is being asked. Why not just get an extra data card or 2 and then do your processing back home later?
It seems a waste to spend valuable vacation time at a workstation when you could be out doing more diving, touring, sightseeing etc.

Not sure I understand why the original question is being asked. Why not just get an extra data card or 2 and then do your processing back home later?
It seems a waste to spend valuable vacation time at a workstation when you could be out doing more diving, touring, sightseeing etc.
Kinda what I was thinking.

Sitting at a computer editing photos while on vacation sounds miserable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom