Suzuki Jimny OK for Slagbaai? (not for diving)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keesmon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good morning Bonaire lovers,
So this will be my 4th or 5th trip to Bonaire, but this time we are going in a different configuration.
I'm bringing my wife (who sometimes dives) and kids (who don't) and we're meeting up with our diver friends, and teenage daughter who sometimes dives.
We have 2 trucks reserved from Poppy, as usual, but my wife does not drive a stick, and at 5'0" had a tough time trying to learn when she was there last in 2003.
Rather than trying to teach her how to drive stick on vacation again, and risk unnecessary friction, I thought maybe I should go with one truck from Poppy (which can hold tanks and gear for the 5 of us) and rent one Suzuki Jimny from Hertz (I get a discount from Hertz which will make the Jimny the same price as the truck from Poppy).
Doing this would allow my wife to take my kids to do other things around the island while the hard core divers are underwater using Poppy's truck.

My question is will the Jimny be rough enough for Slagbaai?
That's the only time I can see us needing 2 4x4's at the same time.
We plan to go out there for the day with 10 tanks and take turns diving Wayaka and what not.
I have full CDW through Amex's supplemental insurance policy, and will need to confirm that this covers off road as well.

Any advice or other workaround is appreciated.

The Jimny should do fine up there. Whether or not the rental company likes you taking it there is another question.

Take a tire inflator though.

A Suzuki Jimny would be my preference vehicle over a truck. Most of the trucks I've ever seen rented are NOT 4 WD. The Suzuki Jimny has a switch inside where you can change to 4WD if you need it and then back to 2 WD for better economy. It also has great clearance. Most folks rent the trucks because of the large cargo hold. However with 2 divers we do just fine with the Jimny, plus much easier parking in town.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I've changed the reservation with Poppy to one truck, and have reserved a Jimny with Hertz.
Tire inflator is always with me in Bonaire.
Guess my buddy will whisk away my kids and luggage with the Poppy express while I deal with Hertz (and undoubtedly get sent to Van Der Tweel's)
75 days but who's counting?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom