water and adult beverages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Is the water safe to drink? I did a search but am obviously search challenged. Also how expensive is liquor on the island? We like absolute and don julio....we hope to stock up in duty free but with only a 45 min layover in houston we may not have time. 60 hours till we land!!!!

The water is safe to drink.

I don't think the liquor is over priced but I don't know how wide a selection you'll find. There's a good liquor store just north of the downtown strip on the west side of the street. Or the Zhung Kong grocery.

There's another Chinese grocery across from AB car rental (or near there) that had 36 bottle cases of Polarcita for $20. So that kept us pretty happy. (short bottles of course)

Last edited:
We usually take duty free Bacrdi with us but the prices on the island are not much different to the duty free shops. Duty Free may be slightly cheaper but it's not going to make a big difference to your budget if you have to buy locally.

And yes, the tap water is fine to drink.

I've been going to Bonaire for years, drinking the water, and never had a GI upset.
As mentioned, liquor prices are just a bit higher than US.
The liquor store on the main drag in town that has a much larger selection of wines and liquors than the grocery stores.

we hope to stock up in duty free...

Duty-free liquor is the greatest scam ever perpetuated on humanity... or US citizens anyway.

I've yet to find booze in the airport that wasn't cheaper at home OR where I was going.

Duty-free liquor is the greatest scam ever perpetuated on humanity... or US citizens anyway.

I've yet to find booze in the airport that wasn't cheaper at home OR where I was going.

That hasn't been my experience. But maybe that reflects different tax or retail strategy. I live in Idaho where liquor is only sold through state-operated liquor stores. Here's some anecdotal evidence comparing receipts from recent trips with local prices.

Knob Creek bourbon:
Idaho: $36.95 for 750ml
ATL duty-free: $29.00 for 1000ml
Bonaire: Not available

Crown Royal Black:
Idaho: $39.95 for 1000ml
ATL duty-free: unknown
Bonaire: $33.00 for 1000ml at Zhung Kong

Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum:
Idaho: $22.95 for 1000ml
Bonaire: $20.50 for 1000ml at Zhung Kong

In all cases our experience has been that US airport duty-free and Bonaire are generally cheaper than purchasing at home and packing (see exceptions below.) Purchasing at home and packing also adds precious weight to luggage. Nowadays we purchase common liquor on Bonaire because it's easy and cost effective. Examples include Crown Royal, Captain Morgan rum, Jose Cuervo tequila, and Skyy or Absolut vodka. But my precious Knob Creek and other good bourbon is hard to come by on Bonaire, as is good tequila like Don Julio. ATL duty-free has a very good tequila called Gila that I think tastes comparable to or better that Don Julio. Zhung Kong sells a couple different versions of Patron tequila, but it's more expensive than at home.

Beer is a different animal. It's generally more expensive, is sold in smaller bottles, and isn't practical to buy it anywhere else except on the island.

Interesting. Here's web pricing from our local liquor store, in ​RED
That hasn't been my experience. But maybe that reflects different tax or retail strategy. I live in Idaho where liquor is only sold through state-operated liquor stores. Here's some anecdotal evidence comparing receipts from recent trips with local prices.

Knob Creek bourbon:
Idaho: $36.95 for 750ml
ATL duty-free: $29.00 for 1000ml
Bonaire: Not available
NJ: 750ml $24.99

Crown Royal Black:
Idaho: $39.95 for 1000ml
Bonaire: $33.00 for 1000ml at Zhung Kong
NJ: 750ml for $27.99

Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum:
Idaho: $22.95 for 1000ml
Bonaire: $20.50 for 1000ml at Zhung Kong
NJ: 1.75L for $24.99 (That's 75% more rum than in Idaho for $2 more.)

Beer is a different animal. It's generally more expensive, is sold in smaller bottles, and isn't practical to buy it anywhere else except on the island.

Not sure if booze is just cheaper in NJ (seems to be) or if EWR/JFK duty free is silly-expensive (seems to be) or both (seems to be.)

PS - just how much drinking do you do on Bonaire? Looks like you're pulling together enough booze (quantity and variety) to open a bar!

I don't have prices at hand but I'd say NJ prices are better than here in Michigan.

It doesn't seem right to buy duty free rum and take it to a Caribbean island - just out of principal. Bonaire rum is pretty good but maybe a little sweet. I bought a bottle to bring back for my wife to make Mojitos. I wasn't real partial to the Cadushi Whiskey though. In any event, don't buy it in Rincon if there's a cruise tour bus on its way into town. Prices may vary.

Back
Top Bottom