Back from Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Donnah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Our dive group was in Bonaire April 9-18. My husband and I have been to Bonaire 4 times. We stayed in the Divi Flamingo (our third time there). The rooms were fine (top floor rooms near the water are the best). The second floor rooms have better balconies for drying gear, but in terms of railings and security. One person did have a Lavacore top stolen off her ground floor balcony. The hotel staff was very helpful, but top was never recovered.

The renovation is nearly finished -- it was fun to see the progress on the walkways each day. Breakfast was fine; we usually managed to squirrel enough away for lunch also! We did have dinner twice at the Divi. The meals were fine, but I'm easy to please as long as the food is hot and I don't have to cook it! The restaurants in town are easy to walk to; we usually went early to avoid any crowds and because we wanted to go to bed.

The dive operation there is well-organized. Our two DMs did a good job with a group that included very experienced divers and a few novices. All dives were guided; there were several solo photographers who were put on our boat. At our request, we did many of our dives on Klein. Dives were run very safely. I don't know why I dove Nitrox (on air tables). During the week, 3 dives a day I always had 99 minutes of no-deco. We rarely got deeper than 60 feet and spent at least 20 minutes at the end of each dive in the shallows. Most dives were 60 minute dives. I usually had air to stay down longer, but came up because I was cold. Some people did early am and night shore dives off the dock.

The weather was cloudy and windy. Water was 80 degrees, but most people (except for those with lots of natural insulation) were cold during the second dive. I wore a 3 ml wetsuit and a hooded lined vest with a lined skin under everything. There wasn't any chance to warm up in the sun between dives. Because of the wind, we did Klein first thing in the am before the wind picked up. Lots of surface current. For most dives we were directed to drop to the bottom as quickly as we could. The DM went slowly so we had time to look for critters and take pictures, but we were usually swimming into the current at the first part of the dive.

We saw most of the usual suspects: frogfish, flounders, eels, snake eels, spotted drums, etc. Also some really big lionfish. We didn't see many large schools of fish, or as many fish as I remember. I was disappointed in the health of the reefs in general. Very sad. The cruise ships come right up to the port. Some in our group were doing a shore dive just when the cruise ship left. Total sandstorm and no visibility at all. They had to surface and take a compass heading to get back to the dock. The house reef has been definitely harmed by the cruise ships.

Thanks for posting about your trip.
We have stayed at Divi a few times and enjoyed each visit.
Looking forward to seeing the renovation on our next trip.

Great trip report, thanks for sharing. I agree that the cruise ships detract from the small island ambiance and certainly don't enhance the diving in the pier area. But I've enjoyed some great dives at Cha Cha Cha in recent years (located between Divi and the cruise pier.) I know what you mean about getting cold while diving in 80 degree water. As we've become more experienced and comfortable diving over the years our dive pace has slowed and bottom time has increased as we've improved our air consumption. In our early days on Bonaire in the mid-90's I would wear a 3 mm shorty and be happy with 45 minutes bottom time. Nowadays we prefer to wear 5 mm suits with 2mm beanies to enjoy 70 minute dives. For us the extra insulation is key to extended bottom time... even though it means wearing additional weight.

I've read this before and seen it. Why do people think it's ok?

American breakfast?

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the practice of taking extra food from the breakfast buffet to eat later at another meal. Getting two (or more) meals while paying for only one and/or doing this without consent of the restaurant is generally considered to be bad form. If done surreptitiously without permission it's not "squirreling". It's stealing. FWIW I'm attempting to address the topic in general and I'm not trying to cast aspersions on the OP. (I have no idea what Divi's position is on this or how the OP absconded with the nuts.)

I was disappointed in the health of the reefs in general. Very sad. The cruise ships come right up to the port. Some in our group were doing a shore dive just when the cruise ship left. Total sandstorm and no visibility at all. They had to surface and take a compass heading to get back to the dock. The house reef has been definitely harmed by the cruise ships.
I am going to Bonaire for the first and only time in just over 2 weeks. I hope that the weather is better than what you experienced. I have booked with VIP Divers and am hoping that they will take me to the reefs in best condition.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the practice of taking extra food from the breakfast buffet to eat later at another meal. Getting two (or more) meals while paying for only one and/or doing this without consent of the restaurant is generally considered to be bad form. If done surreptitiously without permission it's not "squirreling". It's stealing. FWIW I'm attempting to address the topic in general and I'm not trying to cast aspersions on the OP. (I have no idea what Divi's position is on this or how the OP absconded with the nuts.)

Duh, exactly why I called it "American Breakfast", paying for buffet breakfast and stealing lunch. Personally, I'm embarrassed when folks make sandwiches and sneak them out in napkins...

Hintermann, Have a great trip and you will like VIP diving. They are a great bunch of people. They will show you a great time. I am sure it won't be your last trip to Bonaire because you will LOVE it. See if the weather is fit to go to the East coast. That's really good!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom