Bonaire diving and snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

world_traveler

Contributor
Reaction score
We plan a week in Bonaire - I'm diving, my husband snorkels.
I read that in the North and Western part the reef was destroyed a few years ago - what about the rest, is it in good condition? (for diving and snorkeling too)
From what I read, one "sure" place for both seems to be Klein island- can somebody recommend other places with reef in good condition in shallow water too?
Thank you

I think what you speak of was quite some time ago... I dived the western and North western side of the island in 2013 and it was beautiful...

I'm not sure what are the best snorkeling spots but many of the dive sites start at 20-30' anyways...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While there was some reef damage a few years ago when a storm dipped further south than usual, nothing was really destroyed. Shallower stands of elk horn and stag horn corals got beat up pretty badly but even they are starting to come back.

Karpata, one of the more northerly reefs is popular with both snorkelers and divers. Lots of good 20 +/- feet reef that you can enjoy together.

Don't overlook the southern sites. While most all of the sites were really messed up with several hurricanes there is a lot of the reef coming back. On the south end at and around Margate Bay, there are now fields of soft corals as well as growing stands of stage horn and plate coral. There are a lot of areas near shore in less than 20 ft of water with very easy entries.

Just to the , "LEFT" of the salt pier is beautiful and shallow...

Jim...

Last edited:
Also felt like thousand steps had good snorkeling if you get out from shore

Bari Reef is a decent snorkel also. A lot of it is really shallow if you head south from the stairs. There's some sort of beach reconstruction going on there now so it may have changed but there were some huge pieces of the old pier breaking the surface or just under in that area as well - lots of fish.

Someone once suggested Cliff and although I never did, I could see how it could be also south of Dive Friends.

I have friends that snorkel 18Palms at the Plaza - IDK if it's good or because they stay there.

A snorkeler could have a lot of fun at the first couple of Salt Pier pilings also. The first one can't be 20' deep. Don't touch, there's fire coral.

Batchelor's Beach and the whole stretch from there North from Blenham to the oil pier is perfect for snorkeling.

I was in Bonaire for the first time at the end of June, first week of July. It was very windy most days, but the visibility was still better than I have ever seen in the Florida Keys. You see a lot of regrowth in the corals on the west side shallows. Here is a link to some of the photos I took that week: Bonaire Reef Gallery 1. (also at Bonaire Reef Gallery 1 (same pics)).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom