Favourite dive sites on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyG_DM

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'll be touching down at Flamingo airport in just over 24 hours for my annual pilgrimage to Bonaire (this'll be the 11th straight year!) last bits going into the bags and I started thinking about what might be my absolute favourite dive site on the island. after much thought and mind changing (Oilslick for the entry, Yellow sub for a previous Manta sighting) I settled on Willemstorens Lighthouse. why?

1: not always diveable (needs low winds or a reversal)
2. the reef is stunning. (once you get past the long walkout )
3 Never crowded
3 Always a chance of something a bit bigger than usual swimming by.

So what's your favourite?

So what's your favourite?

That's like asking a parent "Which of your children is your favorite?"

As my mom used to say about my brother, sister, and me: "I love them all equally... but I love them all differently."

I take "favorite" to be different than "best."For me, the best sites change on every trip. As for my favorite, I'm leaning towards Salt Pier.

I have only been once but will be returning in 2017. I got to dive around 30 of them so I still have a ways to go. Wanted to get to Red and White Slave but didnt make it. Salt Pier will be near the top of my list for next trip to try as well.

sigh...every where I dive my takeaway is....nice, but not Bonaire...Esmeralda (the abandoned hotel) because I like the visionary of what it might be; I like to start & end with the Lake. Nice nearly 2 hour dive to get in the island & then a takeaway at the end. Red Slave because I was challenged there in my first early dives, so it reminds me of growth. Dang....

Karpata and Tolo were great! The water was very clear and the entries were fairly easy. Big variety of wildlife. We dove them more than once.
We dove the Willemstoren Lighthouse one day. It has alot of fan coral and large stag coral. Saw eagle rays at the walls edge. Ran into a slight
thermocline. The water was shimmering. All were great dives.

I have no question which is my favorite. It's an unmarked, unnamed, secret place which I will never divulge. There is only one very non-obvious way in and out but once you get there it's pristine. I want it to stay that way. I've seen too many divers on Bonaire smash right through soft coral, gorgonians, etc., seen them stand/kneel/hold onto live coral, seen them chase and harass fish & turtles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom