VOL #2 Helmets of the deep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Helmets of the Deep --Volume #2

I am in almost daily certainly weekly contact with Leon Lyons, generally on historic SCUBA items --However, I have 3 hats plus 2 swimmer hats and 2 S/S F/F masks, all are very common. I have little or no knowledge of the rare items listed in his first book and certainly will know even less abut those in his second book...but that is why books are written, printed, sold and collected- to educate the uneducated masses.

Per Leon Lyons;

"The first book I think has some 259 hats pictured in it, and I think some 2, 3, 4 hundred more maybe, will be added to that amount. Have not yet had the time to add it all up yet. You figure that when I did my first book, I had 160 or so hats in my collection. Today that amount is around 316. Then we add the hats I do not have, that are in other collector's collections, and that numbered amount keeps growing. Of course, some of the hats will be variations, or the same, but with important military, or commercial markings on them to be different from the other, in my opinion.

I wish I could give to you a finalized date, but no can do, for not knowing what could pop up."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Therefore;
Vol #1=259 Hats .....Vol #2=200, 300 possibly 400 Hats will be added
As many as 659! will be in Vol #2!

Leon's personal collection:
Vol # 1=160 hats in collection.... Vol #2= 316 hats

Therefore ya put down yer hard earned dollars as a deposit, save yer hard earned dollars, wait yer turn and some day in the future Leon will present the world another master piece.and ya pay yer hard earned dollars for Volume # 2...

.It won't be inexpensive but to the serious collector worth every dollar it costs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To view pictures of his collection it is suggested that you visit Scuba Diving and Recreation Center in Northwest Ohio - Portage Quarry "Legends of Diving"
YOU will be IMPRESSED!

Sam Miller

Just in from Leon;

Nice commentary about the book's coming.

They can also visit my web site, [[[ helmetsofthedeep.com ]]] which has a few more pictures for them to see.

Thanks again.

Leon

Hey to all I'm a new to the site. I too have had a deposit on this book for years and my emails to Leon have bounced back. These posts are pretty old does anyone have any updated info?
Thanks in advance
Scott

Leon responded several weeks ago but I was too involved and distracted to post his reply, which is as follows

"Since I have a few emails to answer, I'll apologize now to those I am late
to respond. Not going as smooth as I hoped for this year so far, but it is
nearing the end.

I'm on the last box of photo proofs, that I have to be choosing which pictures to select, say a few words, and then have the computer woman do the page layouts.

I'm working on an update, and to have a few more photo's on my website, depicting the work in progress, collating the 1,917 pages printed out so far.

I must admit, it is really looking good, all the material, some info, helmets taken apart for collector's to see where numbers and markings should be, and the chapter for " Friend's and Collector's ". So many of you have responded with photo's of their collections, working on diving jobs with their full gear.

I didn't expect that kind of a response. Unfortunately, some disks that I received, were not compatible with the computers, so I was not able to see the material, and did not get back in time to let them know, as it was the time receiving the crappy news of throat cancer. So going through that period, the filing system for the book got a bit messed up to find those disks again. Hope to succeed with that problem.

Again, I'm thanking you all for your continued patience, with this
monumental project I ended up with, and hope to have much better news in the next few months.
Best regards,
Leon'

1,917 pages printed !
Leon writes books not pamphlets and calls them books

I recall paying $300.00 plus $15.00 Shipping for my #500 inscribed copy of "Helmets" when it was first announced around 20 years ago. Now I question how many volumes and what will be the price of "Helmets of the deep #2"

SDM

Hello fellow Divers. I'm reluctantly looking to part with a book I purchased in 1993 while going through US Navy Deep Sea 1st Class Dive School in Panama City, FL. I purchased a signed, number 318 of 900 copy of Author Leon Lyons Helmets of the Deep. This is a Mint Condition, one owner book that is hard to find and rarely offered online. It is offered on EBAY by me.

Helmets of the Deep. Authored by Leon G. Lyons. A Deep Sea Diver Helmets Book | eBay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom