Fatally Flawed - The Quest to be Deepest, by Verna van Schaik

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone read it?

I was going to order a copy of amazon, but the negative reviews picked up many of the things that drive me crazy about diving books, and so gave me pause.

Interesting to read her side of the Dave Shaw incident though. She was the surface marshall who took heavy flak in Philip Finch's book for "freezing".

I powered through it but I can't say I liked it. She is a great diver and has accomplished what many people only dream off. This is going to sound sexist or something, probably cause it is, but it seemed like half the book was her mewing about how she can't, her nerves, her feelings, yada yada yada. It really turned me off and I only finished it because it was a short book. I bought it hoping it would read like the book about David Shaw "Diving into Darkness: A True Story of Death and Survival", which I greatly enjoyed. But it was more like if Dr. Phil / Oprah wrote a book about deep diving. Your mileage may vary depending on how in touch you are with your metrosexual side.

Yeah, that was what I was worried about.

+1 on Philip Finch's book though - outstanding read.

I bought it hoping it would read like the book about David Shaw "Diving into Darkness: A True Story of Death and Survival"...

Also published under the title "Raising the Dead" - which is how I ended up with two copies of the same book :doh:

Not a problem as it's a good read; kept one & gave the other to a dive buddy

Rhone Man,

I looked and found the book, PM me your address and I'll send it to if you want, no cost. It isn't doing me any good and I hate to throw out books, you could start it and if you don't like it, well, it cost you nothing.

I quite enjoyed reading the book exactly for all the "feelings" etc. It gives a personal inside into someone diving on the edge. To me personally, "Fatally Flawed" together with "Ocean Gladiator" is one of the books one should read trying to understand extreme deep diving.

I read the book on a 2 and a half hour flight this weekend. First 27 pages is about why she chose to dive. Second part was about her trying to fit in at the Wits Underwater Club (incidentally I was a member of the club at the same time and remember it being a lot more welcoming - admittedly I was not into technical in those days). Next are a few chapters about building up to the dives and managing her nerves. Finally she was the surface marshal at Dave Shaw's dive. Her recollections on this are interesting and add a different perspective to the other books I have read.

Overall it was a great book to kill 150 minutes on an aircraft.

+1 for what Mod63 said. The 'feelings' just before a dive with major risk were a big part of what makes this an interesting read.

As the author it is always interesting to see how polarised people are by my story. It wasn't important for me to explain how to deep dive (there are some really comprehensive texts out there that do that) because that is not what is hard about breaking limits. The hard part was mastering myself and actually escaping myself and the all too pervasive victim mentality that I was definitely stuck in. People either relate to that or reject it (which is interesting in itself).

Diving deep is as much an emotional and mental excercise as it is a physical one (maybe more mental than physical) and unless you are aware of that, it does not matter how good you are at diving because who you are and how you think will get in your way and limit you.

More than happy to chat about it further :)
Verna

Verna,

It's great to have you here and talking about your book. I have read it and found it a pleasant read.

What I took from the book is that you diving was a cry for acceptance. You desperately needed to be accepted and your deep dives were a way to do it. Your constant inner battle with yourself comes out. I feel the book is more of that.

With that being said, your dives were amazing. You have a talent and passion for diving that is second to none. I have watched the documentaries and read the books. I have seen you in action as an outsider looking in. Your handling as surface marshall during David's last dive was phenomenal. The team was lucky to have you.

James

Verna,

How cool to have you here. I'm sure you'll be able to add a ton of valuable information to the board if you feel inclined to do so.

"People either relate to that or reject it (which is interesting in itself)." Although I wrote a critical response to your book it wasn't so much that I couldn't relate to it. I believe most of us have battles somewhere in our lives where we deal with similar issues in one sense or another. I just was left with wanting more of the technical details and maybe more of the adventurous side of you rather than the timid side, if that makes any sense. It really is cool that you're here to talk about it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom