Wreck Diving Magazine review of Setting the Hook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

settingthehookPete

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The following excerpts are from the review of Setting the Hook by Charles George of Wreck Diving Magazine. The full review can be read at Setting the Hook, a Diver's Return to the Andrea Doria

"...Setting The Hook; A diver’s return to the Andrea Doria is the true story of one diver who was part of this first group of tech diving pioneers to dive and tame the Doria. Setting The Hook is not just a diving tale of the hunt for fine china or the omnipresent danger of the wreck itself; it is the story of a wreck diving pioneer who shifted gears and entered the US Navy becoming a Navy carrier pilot and then an airline pilot; hanging his fins up for nearly twenty years; who wanted to return to the Doria one last time to see her again and also to see if he really had the right stuff to conquer her once more…

…Setting The Hook; A diver’s return to the Andrea Doria has some great details of the early diving on Doria, including some tragedies, complete with the details of the silt, the ensnaring electrical cables, the darkness, currents and the “pitch-black labyrinths” that can trap and kill a diver on the Doria. But the real story here is the personal story of a man, a diver, one of us…

…Setting The Hook is a great read. It is well written and it will have you standing and cheering for Peter! This is a great diving book but it is an even better people book. All of us have challenges in life; that is a given we are all human. Setting The Hook shows us that it is not the challenge that defines us; it is how we handle the challenge that defines us." –Charles George, Wreck Diving Magazine

Setting the Hook, a Diver's Return to the Andrea Doria
Setting the Hook | Facebook
peter@settingthehook.org (email)

Thank you,
Peter Hunt

I'm looking forward to meeting more of you at DEMA in two weeks (I will be at the Dive News Network booth from midday Thursday to late Saturday afternoon). Signed copies of Setting the Hook and detailed resale information for retailers will be available.
Thanks!
Peter

Peter,

Congrats on your "Book"

Is is a book or an over priced over grown term paper of around 50 pages?

The dive bibliophile world would like to know:
How many pages?
How many chapters?
How many pictures or illustrations?
Hard cover?
Soft Cover?
E book?

ISBN #?
LCCC #?

SDM

Sam, I bought it as an e-book.

It is not an overgrown term paper. It is actually quite a good story of human growth and acceptance of limitations. It's fairly well-written and very vivid.

Have you read it? I think most of us who are a little older would relate to the human aspects of the story.

This sounds fascinating.
Thanks for the quick review, Lynne.

Off to my Kindle.....

~~~~~
Claudette

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
--Albert Einstein

I have read it and really enjoyed it . If I can,t get in to a book I will put it down and never touch it again. I think it was well written.It had a very human self struggle aspect to it. It made me want to read on to find out how it all came out at the end.

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your interest and questions. Here are the answers:

- 276 pages/approx. 89,000 words
- 23 chapters plus a prologue and an epilogue
- 34 black and white photos; one marked up ship's blueprint
- Available in Trade Paperback (6"X9") and Kindle formating; no hardcover
- ISBN 978-1453734209
- I don't know the Library of Congress Catalogue info but will get back to you

In the interest of full disclosure, this is a self-published book through Createspace (Amazon). My first book, Angles of Attack, was published in the traditional method (Ballantine, 2002), but I opted to try it all on my own for this one (actually, I did not attempt to sell it to a large House in the book's current form, so saying I "opted" might be a stretch; it's likely that I would not have had a choice!). I have made no attempt to hide the fact that Setting the Hook is self published, such as by placing a "shell" Indie house on the publishing info page. I'd be happy to explain why in greater detail if anyone is interested (now that's probably a real stretch...).

Again, thank you for asking and I appreciate your consideration.

Peter Hunt
peter@settingthehook.org
www.settingthehook.org

I read it a couple of months ago and enjoyed it immensly. I you hadn't told me it was selfpublished, I would never have known. A first rate tale of diving and growing up. I started diving in 1980 and took a long sabatical during my marriage and raising my kids. I guess that time warp aspect of coming back to it made it even more relatable to me. Good Job!

I started reading this book on my Kindle last weekend, so the timing on this thread is perfect. I am finding it a well written story, chronicling a diver's journey from the early days of endurance and perseverance with limited resources, to training and preparing to revisit this great wreck. The story of the wreck, and the lives of the people involved, told alongside the divers exploring her make for a great read.

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your interest and questions. Here are the answers:

- 34 black and white photos; one marked up ship's blueprint
- Available in Trade Paperback (6"X9") and Kindle formating; no hardcover
- ISBN 978-1453734209
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A book!
A real book!