What are the top Diving related books?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT-Rich

Contributor
Reaction score
I just finished reading a the Last Dive (Bernie Chowdhury). It was an excellent read about a watershed time in diving. I also read Setting the Hook (Pete Hunt) about his early days diving the Andrea Doria and his training for his return dives. And, of course, Shadow Divers (Robert Kurson) about the discovery and identification of the U-who and the tragedies that plagued her and the search.

These three books really make the trifecta of North East Wreck diving books, but I was wondering what other books divers find as the recreational must reads for divers? I don't want to get into a discussion of which book on theory or and practice is the must read for deco or tech or AOW, but as we approach the dive season in these northern Latitudes, what are the best books to get you pumped for the coming summer? The three I mentioned were all true stories/ memoirs, but they don't have to be. A great novel can also qualify. I remember reading the deep 30 years ago but I remember more about Jaqueline Bisset's breasts than the book I am afraid....

Clive Cussler's novels are always a fun read. The Dirk Pitt series, especially earlier one's written by Cussler himself are quite good. I just started his latest - Poseidons Arrow. Started with a little scuba, no idea how much more there will be... Someone else with a better memory than me will hopefully chime in with recommendations.

Deep Descent by Kevin McMurray is another NE diving book worth checking out. Along the lines of a more educational book, Deco For Divers by Mark Powell is fantastic. Although I know you said you didn't want to get into that kind of stuff, I still considered it enjoyable.

SEALAB is very much about a watershed era in diving, and the bold experimentation by U.S. Navy divers, Jacques Cousteau's team and others that made it so. A number of publications and reviewers (including Rob Kurson, author of Shadow Divers), have found SEALAB to be a compelling, non-technical read.

While accessible to anyone it has always seemed to me a must-read for divers, since it's the previously untold story of major diving breakthroughs and their legacy. Of course I'd say such a thing - I spent quite a few years researching and writing the book - but I'm grateful for the favorable reviews that back me up, and UnderWater, the major commercial diving industry magazine, just added its voice to the review chorus with the great write-up in its current (March/April) issue.

Anyway, I hope you'll want to consider reading it and I'd be glad to know what you think. It's certainly a story you won't have heard before. . .

The Cave Divers by Robert F Burgess.

The Complete Diver, The History, Science and Practice of Scuba Diving by Alex Brylske, Ph.D.

Diving into Darkness by Philip Finch.

gripping tale, brilliantly narrated

I liked SCUBA! by Joan Blair. Good novel.
And Keith Jessop's GOLD FINDER.

Back
Top Bottom