Need help IDing old picture

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cohenandy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
image.jpegThis came out of "Skin and Scuba Diving", Faucett Book, # 616.
It looks like a Fred Freeman painting. He did some pulp magazine covers on diving (and sci-fi) in the 50s. I'd be interested in getting a color print, but I can not find any information on it. Thanks.
image.tiff

This came out of "Skin and Scuba Diving", Fawcett Book, # 616. It looks like a Fred Freeman painting. He did some pulp magazine covers on diving (and sci-fi) in the 50s. I'd be interested in getting a color print, but I can not find any information on it.

You're right, it is a Fred Freeman. Check out this Argosy cover, and notice the subtle differences from the image you provided: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcgpi7WZMH1qagrc1o1_500.jpg

Illustrators in the 40s-70s often recycled (and resold) illustrations for use in pulp magazines, book covers, advertisements, etc. Many of these classic images have survived and are now available as t-shirts, posters, and the like but others have been lost to time. Your best bet may be to look for a good cover of the Argosy cover, or another vintage version of this illustration, and scan it. One you've got a clean digital image (with a little Photoshop clean-up, if necessary) then take the image to Kinko's and print your own poster.

I've done this with everything from paperback book covers to travel brochure covers, and have gotten some good results up to about 12x24" or so. Anything bigger, and the half-tone present in the original becomes too noticeable.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom