A brief tribute to this week's 50th anniversary of SEALAB I

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SEALAB Author Ben H.

Contributor
Reaction score
I've had a few opportunities lately to write about SEALAB's golden anniversary, and here's one essay that I think pretty well sums up the U.S. Navy's game-changing project and its legacy, written for a Los Angeles-based website called Zocalo Public Square: Zócalo Public Square :: Is the Final Frontier Under the Sea?

Some on ScubaBoard may also have seen my article about SEALAB's 50th in the July issue of Dive Training magazine, though I don't believe that one's online. . .

It's a shame this anniversary isn't getting wider attention, but I figure every mention helps.

50 years! They passed so fast

What a fantastic book! A well researched document of America's pioneering contribution to the advancement of diving technology. A true classic book that will be cherished and referenced by historical research scholars for many future generations.

A must have - must read for all divers

SDM

Thanks for the kind words about my book, Sam. It was an honor to chronicle the history of SEALAB and the related deep diving efforts of that era. FYI, I spoke a bit about SEALAB on the occasion of its 50th on ScubaRadio the other day: ScubaRadio 7-26-14 HOUR1 : Scuba Radio

I suppose you could say the anniversary concludes on Friday, Aug. 1. It was 50 years ago on that day that those first four American aquanauts emerged from their 55-hour decompression - and diving would never be the same . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom