The Last Pirate of the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avonthediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello all while looking for old Skin Diver mag's on ye'ol enterweb I came across this web site Bert Kilbride - Legends or Lies - Last Pirate of the Caribbean What an amazing find I had no clue that this guy was around and so I started looking for book's about him but came up with only this site and book title "My Husband, The Last Pirate of the Caribbean . . . Legends or Lies" 2012 June » Gayla's Blog but the trail goes dead after her blog from 2012! Does anyone out their know if their are any books about this man and his diving?
The site kinda tells all you really need to know but it would be great to read about his diving.

Any who safe Diving & Cheers!

I knew Bert, but not well

Bert should appropriately be know as the first and last hippie of the Caribbean. He lived and died by his own rules. Very interesting fellow

He moved from Saba rock with his wife Gayla as I recall to California where he passed away ten or more years ago, at 90 plus.

I was in contact with Gayla up to several years ago, she was promoting Bert and attempting to keep his memory fresh in the diving world.

As I recall Gayla had a gift shop some where in northern California which has closed.

RE: SKIN DIVER MAGAZINES (SDM)
I have a limited supply of mint SDMS which I need to dispose. What issues or years are you searching?
PM is interested.

SDM

Bert wrote a colloring book for children titled "A to Z under the sea" which they attempted to market

Charles Kingsley's Poem: The Last Buccaneer

Kingsley did not get to see the West Indies until late in life. His aptly titled book, "At Last" is absolutely wonderful, despite having been written a century and a half ago. Maybe because of that temporal distance, and what Kingsley saw: things forever lost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom