Whoops Divers Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diving247

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
41ajf4bXAoL._AA160_.jpg
Hi, this is my latest book; 400 scuba dive related cartoons. I also wrote the North American Dive Guide, The Northwest Dive Guide, and To Kill A Diver: a murder mystery. Hey if you can't go diving at least you can be kept entertained. Cheers! Oh, also check out my latest parody song on youtube: I'm too sexy for scuba.

Diving247

Thanks for the heads up on YOUR books, North American Dive Guide and The Northwest Dive Guide. I must confess I was unaware that they had been researched and published.

I do recall theses books published about diving in the US;

1955- Diving guide to the USA- Schenk
1973-World Wide skin divers guide , O'Keefe
1974-Great Diving-1, May
1982- Diver's guide to underwater America, Kelley & Shobe
1990- The best Dives of the western Hemispheres Huber, Huber & Lofting

And of course The North west:

1977- !41 Dives of Washington and British Columbia, Johnson
1980- Exploring the Sea Shore, BC, Washington & Oregon,Snively
1986-Northwest Shore dives, Fischnaller

It should be noted and recorded that Hilbert Schenk lead the way with a national dive guide way back in 1955, almost 60 years ago. The diving community owes him a huge debt of gratitude for his guide and his the pioneering works on UW photography and Self contained diving, all published prior to 1960

And of course Betty Pratt Johnson, with her monumental book "141 dives" was pioneer of the Northwest guide guides. Her book was the fountainhead of knowledge for all who followed in her fin prints.

So please describe your on demand books, what do they cover that has not been covered in all the pioneering efforts of those who labored so hard and long to produce the previously listed books.

"The sea, the eternal sea remains the same,"
SDM

Last edited:
Really? The more books the better.

It is certainly appreciated that you "researched" your book so well and was aware of those who toiled so long and hard who published books long before you the same subject.

Certainly creates a certain amount of a lack of confidence in your efforts for all on this board who read of your trivial efforts to be an author

SDM

It is certainly appreciated that you "researched" your book so well and was aware of those who toiled so long and hard who published books long before you the same subject.

Certainly creates a certain amount of a lack of confidence in your efforts for all on this board who read of your trivial efforts to be an author

SDM

What is the issue, Sam? Why shouldn't he be able to write and sell books?

Brian

I do recall theses books published about diving in the US;

1955- Diving guide to the USA- Schenk
1973-World Wide skin divers guide , O'Keefe
1974-Great Diving-1, May
1982- Diver's guide to underwater America, Kelley & Shobe
1990- The best Dives of the western Hemispheres Huber, Huber & Lofting

And of course The North west:

1977- !41 Dives of Washington and British Columbia, Johnson
1980- Exploring the Sea Shore, BC, Washington & Oregon,Snively
1986-Northwest Shore dives, Fischnaller

I'm glad you shared this with us Sam. We can now stop thinking and exploring and writing about diving because these guys wrapped it up almost 25 years ago. I wouldn't want any new information to make my diving easier and more enjoyable. I'm sure I can just pick up Schenk's book and find out where all the best dive shops and air fill places are because nothing has changed in 55 years. I'm sure he probably included their URLs as well.

I'll bet there are some great tips for using my GoPro in E.R. Cross's Underwater Photography and Television from 1954 as well. I'll check the list of drawings for some tips on maximizing my storage capacity.

I wonder what the post you put up is going to look like when you finish and self-publish your "fabled" autobiography.

I think diving247 wrote a book divers might be interested in and I know you haven't even bothered to read it. Let them decide if it's worth their time.

Last edited:
MY APPOLOGIES to everyone. I merely made the announcement of my new scuba dive cartoon book. I didn't know I needed to display credential for such a simplistic and fun endeavor. I just want to bring attention to the field of scuba diving to as many people as possible and their diving family; books do this. For my background: I do know Betty Pratt Johnson as I have met her personally on several occasions when I was a dive instructor in Washington State. I have many books on diving in my library that I started in 1980 as a new diver. I also have lots of different books on marine biology, as that is my degree field. My first book" The Northwest Dive Guide," was published by Harbour Publishing in 2006 and sold in several stores in Washington and British Columbia including Powel Book Stores and Amazon.com. This book mentioned not only dive sites, but dive operators and charter captains who took divers to these dive sites. Most of the research was performed during my 10 years as a writer for Dive News Network. Some sites such as the Railroad dive site in Edmonds never made it into the book as the year before it was published, they made it illegal to cross the tracks. A year after the book was published they took out the creosote pilings at the oil dock in Edmonds as they somehow figured it was better to have no sea life rather than sea life tainted by creosote. On the fortunate side dive sites were popping up in Hood Canal due to the exploration efforts of Captain Don Coleman. My next book I published "on Demand" as I see this as the wave of the future; my nearby Barnes and Noble closed its doors last year, so Walmart and Target are the nearest book outlets and they have nada when it comes to scuba diving. Unfortunately, there is not a high profit margin for books in our industry. Anyway my next book was entitled " The North American Dive Guide and based on the best dive sites in each state and based mostly off of interviews with instructors and local dive shop owners; Several sections appeared in regional magazines such as Southwest Dive News. etc. "To Kill A Diver" is a scuba murder mystery I just wrote for fun. I just think we should have as much media as possible surrounding our sport to attract new divers. Hey have you seen the average age of divers lately? We need new blood. I also expanded my campaign by making over 500 videos on Youtube that pertain to diving and dive gear. Not satisfied with this , I made several parody songs such as "I'm too sexy for scuba," "Vegas Gill I Am", "Diving Solo"," Stream To Spout" and "The Dive Shop Song." all under Mike Hughes scuba. I have friends in every scuba instruction agency and they all attest to how bad I sing, but they all agree that we need to do everything we can to attract new divers. So if my books, music, and my "Whoops Divers Guide" cartoon book bring in just one new diver into the fold, then despite my credentials or the scope of my material, than I have been successful.

P.S. You've most likely already read some of my work , because I am a ghost writer too and have been for quite some time. Cheers!

Last edited:
You have no reason or need to explain yourself or to apologize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom