Great Lakes Diving Books??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dan 28

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey everyone. I have been on a reading kick durning my recovery from a broken heel. I have read some really good books about the Andria Doria, and the U-Who. I'll be reading Rising the Dead by Finch next.
My brother and I were thinking about a summer trip to the Great Lakes this summer. I was wondering if anyone knew of some titles to look into and read next. just wanted to read some stories about diving some of the wrecks and the general history of them.

There's all of Chris Kohl's books, but they're focused on info for divers rather than "stories".

There are any number of fine authors of books about Great Lakes shipwrecks, Fredrick Stonehouse comes to mind. I had a chance to meet him several years back. A real great source.

I agree with Laconic about Chris Kohls books.

Figure out where you want to dive and then find a book about wrecks in that area.

You might also find Shipwreck Hunter: Deep, Dark & Deadly in the Great Lakes entertaining.

Awesome thanks

A few more for you: there is a series of books by Wes Oleszewski (e.g. True Tales of Ghosts & Gales), published by Avery Color Studies, and some by Dwight Boyer (e.g. Great Stories of the Great Lakes), published by Freshwater Press.

I haven't read these yet myself--I inherited them from my dad, who was into Great Lakes shipwrecks.

I ordered 100 great Shipwrecks Vol 2 by Kohl. I'm looking forward to it. I am sure my brother and I will enjoy it even more when we are in Illinois this summer. We hope to dive for about two weeks. Heading up there in July.

I would suggest hunting the Westmorland by Ross Richardson, Gone Missing by Fredrick Stonehouse, Sole Survivor or the new updated Dennis Hale book, Shipwreck Hunter, Lost legends of the Lake, Ships Gone Missing, White Hurricane, Shipwrecks and lost Treasures of the Great Lakes, Diving the Bradley, The Salvager, The Griffon, Buckets and Belts has a few wrecks in it, Great Lakes lost and found by Valerie Van Heest, Steel on the Bottom, and All hands on deck.

Each book has diving in it, but the majority of it is about the history of the wrecks.

Just finished reading "Raising the Dead" by Finch!! What an incredible account.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom