Helmets Of the Deep-Recent Sales $$$$$$$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Always advisable to periodically check e bay or one of the other used book sellers for the current listings and sales of a book. On occasion books will, for some unknown reason, escalate many times over their original sales price in just a few short years. A very good example "Helmets of the deep," the definitive world class book on diving helmets;

HELMETS OF THE DEEP,
by
Leon G.Lyons,
St Augustine, Florida
Published 1987
ISBN #962-7256-01-3
LCCC # 87-090931
Oversized, 307 pages
Illustrated with pictures
verbiage is English, French and German

There were only 1000 books printed. 900 Presentation editions, hard cover with a dust jacket, and 100 Special edition hard cover leather bound.

Original cost: 900 Presentation editions $300.00 plus S&H (about $15.00 to California)

Original cost: Special editions $500.00 plus S&H (about $15.00 to California)

Last sales of Helmets of the deep on E bay

April 30,2007
#99 of 900 Presentation edition
Inscription dated 11/3/89
$2052 (US dollar amount)
Listed and sold in Australia--one bid
$2052.00

Date sold unknown
#300 of 900 Presentation edition
Inscribed by Leon Lyons to BAX
Book and dust cover damaged --fair to poor condition
$1575 US-- one bid

May 27, 2007
#766 of 900 Presentation edition
Mint with dust cover
Bidding began at $849.00--11 bids
Final Price $1313.00

October 27, 2006,
#845 Presentation Edition -13 bids
$2,148.01

October 31,2006
#61 Leather bound edition- 10 bids
$3,127.01

November 2, 2006
#378 Presentation edition
Small tear in cover-10 bids
$2,955.39

Not a bad investment--original price for the presentation edition was $300.00.
At the time of this posting no leather bound editions have not been reported sold.
Yes I have a copy: #500 of 1000 and it is inscribed

Leon is the owner of the Leon Lyons "Museum of Diving" in St Augustine, Florida --If you live in that area or traveling to Florida to escape the cold make certain you visit the museum.
He is currently working on "Knives of the deep" and several other definitive projects

Dale,
Welcome to the world of bibliophilia

LOW Suppy and HIGH demand...1000 copies and a huge demand. When I purchased my copy I got to chose the number 500 of 1000--sales were low. Had I known I would have purchased two copies..

There are a number of other books who have esculated in price as much or even more.

One that comes to mind is Diving & Spearfishing Florida's Reefs by Hope Root..it is unknown how many were printed, reports indicate about 500, it cost new about $3.95 or $4.95. One sold on E bay a few years back for $600.00 + and one is currently listed by one of the book sellers for $400.00....either price a good ROI.

Yes I have a mint copy - that is why I check on their value...like collecting rare wine.

I was very happy to read about this in one of the back issues of the Historical Diver Magazine as my signed copy sits right by my desk at home!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blair,
I don't recall ever meeting you but it is never too late.

I was a member of HDS's first and founding BofD. I also contributed to the journal for a number of years via a dedicated column called "Diving facts from Sam's Almanac" and also conducted the first American Diving Bibliophile meeting under the sanction of HDS in my home many years ago.

You boss and I are long term good friends. He is also close to Bev Morgan & Bob Kirby (KMB) & Bob Ratleif (RatHat ) who are the only helmet makers in the book who are still alive--and they live in SB and Los Olivos..Why don't you greatly increase the value of you book by having those three gentlemen inscribe it on the appropriate pages?
I suspect that Bob Evans can arrange a meeting with them for you.

God luck! SDM

I'm just waiting for the 2nd edition to come out. I have had my deposit in at the HDS now for almost 2 years.

Hello,

My dad recently came to me with a signed copy of Leon Lyon's "Helmets of the Deep" that he wants me to sell.

The issue is #814 of 900 and is in MINT condition. It is also signed by Leon and reads "Welcome to my world of the deep sea diving helmet."

This copy belonged to my uncle (Darrel Baker) who was a career deep sea diver. He passed away a few years ago and left this book to his widow. I'm selling it on her behalf and all the proceeds will go to her.

I do plan to list this item on Ebay but am happy to sell privately also. The book in is Vancouver, BC and is available for viewing locally.

If you have any questions, are interested in buying this issue, or know of anyone who is, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Wes Baker
wes@debrand.ca

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom