Deco for Divers by Mark Powell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HenrikBP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This book was reviewed elsewhere on SB by Lynne earlier this year, but I just read the book and thought it deserved a mention in this new, dedicated review section. Very well written book covering a fairly complicated topic in a straight forward and easy to understand manner. Well, ok - a few sections I needed to re-read :)

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/marine-science-physiology/266681-book-review-deco-divers.html

Amazon.com: Deco for Divers: Decompression Theory and Physiology (9781905492077): Mark Powell: Books

Henrik

Last edited:
It was so clearly written that I could actually understand most of it.

A must read for any diver!

You gotta buy it.

I thought it was excellent, but he could have benefit from a better proof reader. There were a couple of places were there were obvious typos (although the only dangerous one that I spotted was where inexplicably he switched from referring to ppO2 to ppN2 in a series of formulae when he clearly was referring to the partial pressure of oxygen!).

also two thumbs up. very good and different explanation of m-values.

There were a couple typos/mistakes in some of the formulae, but otherwise clearly laid out and written.

Yes, there are quite a few typos, and some mislabeled graphs (but only one that I remember that couldn't be puzzled out, if you knew what he was TRYING to say). Even with those faults, though, the book is something I think every active diver ought to own and read.

For what its worth, I would also give it a thumbs up.

It's a great book if you don't want to go through the pain of searching for articles and research papers on deco theory. If you have already done that, then you won't get that much out of the book.
And two thumbs down on the editorial work. I don't think a book from a publishing house (as opposed to one published by the author himself) should have that many typos, repetitions, mislabeled graphs, etc.

This book was reviewed elsewhere on SB by Lynne earlier this year, but I just read the book and thought it deserved a mention in this new, dedicated review section. Very well written book covering a fairly complicated topic in a straight forward and easy to understand manner. Well, ok - a few sections I needed to re-read :)

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/marine-science-physiology/266681-book-review-deco-divers.html

Amazon.com: Deco for Divers: Decompression Theory and Physiology (9781905492077): Mark Powell: Books

Henrik

Back
Top Bottom