Raising the dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strange in a book review forum you don't tell us anything about the book.
My thought also.

Strange in a book review forum you don't tell us anything about the book.
Didn't you notice the link?Clicking on it you'll find description and reviews.
I'm not a letterary critic.I just liked it.

Strange nobody mentioned "Raising the Dead"by Phillip Finch.Gripping to say the least.
Raising the Dead: A True Story of Death and Survival: Amazon.co.uk: Phillip Finch: Books

Didn't you notice the link?Clicking on it you'll find description and reviews.
I'm not a letterary critic.I just liked it.
I actually did check the link, but; the description is the same as the link. It doesn't say much what the story is about. I finally learned what the book is about by going back to the link and reading the reveiws after your last post. If I hadn't already known about Dave Shaw, the reveiws wouldn't have really clued me in to what I would be reading. I wasn't knocking you, it was more so the link's description. The link left something to be desired, since it wasn't until the 4th or 5th review that it even mentions a human remains recovery dive. I'm pretty lazy, so when I didn't see a description in the link of what the book entailed, I thought that strange. I normally don't read reviews for a book. Thanks for the info, because it is a book I will probably check out even though I know the outcome. :)

I actually did check the link, but; the description is the same as the link. It doesn't say much what the story is about. I finally learned what the book is about by going back to the link and reading the reveiws after your last post. If I hadn't already known about Dave Shaw, the reveiws wouldn't have really clued me in to what I would be reading. I wasn't knocking you, it was more so the link's description. The link left something to be desired, since it wasn't until the 4th or 5th review that it even mentions a human remains recovery dive. I'm pretty lazy, so when I didn't see a description in the link of what the book entailed, I thought that strange. I normally don't read reviews for a book. Thanks for the info, because it is a book I will probably check out even though I know the outcome. :)

Hey,no worries:) I'm lazy too!I tought the description to be pretty clear but perhaps that's just because I read the book:D
Anyway,it's great reading.Especially if you're into technical and deep diving.Certainly not upbeat.The author,despite not being a diver,has done a pretty good job telling the story.Enjoy!

Well, i read the book - got it as a christmas present - Amazing amazing Amazing.At the time it happened i heard about the events but now that i got all the background info about everyone involved , my eyes were opened to the actual unfolding of this amazing event and i also found out that i know one of the guys that recovered the bodies. I spoke to him after i read the book and he was very quiet about the happenings ,but he signed my book and i am sure that he will still soon tell me more about it when we have a braai( barbeque).This book got me back to reading more about diving again , and i have this urge in me to do more courses and to also explore a bit more whilst diving !

This link also describes some of the story.

Dave Shaw | Outside Online

Well, i read the book - got it as a christmas present - Amazing amazing Amazing.At the time it happened i heard about the events but now that i got all the background info about everyone involved , my eyes were opened to the actual unfolding of this amazing event and i also found out that i know one of the guys that recovered the bodies. I spoke to him after i read the book and he was very quiet about the happenings ,but he signed my book and i am sure that he will still soon tell me more about it when we have a braai( barbeque).This book got me back to reading more about diving again , and i have this urge in me to do more courses and to also explore a bit more whilst diving !

This link also describes some of the story.

Dave Shaw | Outside Online

Glad to know you liked it.Maybe being South African you want to read this one too:Technical Diving Books and Publications - Fatally Flawed by Verna van Schaik

The book was excellent. If you want to get the background facts before you read it, here's a good article Dave Shaw | Outside Online . After reading that, it was fascinating to read about the incident from an inside perspective in the book.
Also, I second the recommendation to read Verna van Schaik's book as well. Her tone is a lot different, and again it provides another layer of insight to this and the world of deep diving in general.

Verna van Schaik:a very normal and down to earth woman who did something exceptional.

Back
Top Bottom