Diver Down question?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koozemani

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just, this very moment, finished reading Diver Down by Michael Ange. I won't bother to offer a review as many have either read, or are at the very least, aware of this book.

My one simple question is this:

Why is this book not mandatory reading for all new divers?

It's a short easy read, but the lessons are invaluable.

So again, in case you missed it the first time, "Why is this not mandatory reading for new divers?"

I agree completely. This book can be had for as little as $7 online, yet it may very well save a life.

Exactly. For the hundreds we spend on training and the thousands we spend on gear, a $7 book is what might save your life.

Similar to them, I only grab a copy of padis magazine sporadically, bit they are essentially the same. The first section of the book, as well as the sidebars throughout the book, explain concepts, equipment, theory, and different types of diving. It appears to be directed toward newer divers.

I gave it to a 12 year old who had recently learned to dive. His mother almost killed me.

Apparently it doesn't fit well with the happy safe images of diving which PADI had filled her head with before she allowed her so to learn how to dive.

Mike Ange also runs a website where he puts up new "Diver Down" stories from time to time. Can't recall the URL offhand.

everyone I meet gets told about this book - and the rule of "the dive never gets better" should be standard in every classroom from day one

I don't think they're the same stories as the PADI magazine. In the forward, the author mentions that he frequently gets notes from people who are certain then story is theirs. I think this just shows that there are patterns of errors that repeat with far too much regularity.

I like the idea of passing it out to all students.

I don't think they're the same stories as the PADI magazine. In the forward, the author mentions that he frequently gets notes from people who are certain then story is theirs. I think this just shows that there are patterns of errors that repeat with far too much regularity.

I like the idea of passing it out to all students.

Make it required reading for ow students, and have each student present one of the incidents and have a class discussion on what they learned.

My gf just finished reading it last night and it had a profound impact on her. It's the happiest day of my life (insert sniffle and me wiping away a tear), she has now given me a shopping list of dive gear I NEED to buy!

I forgot about this book, but I agree that this should be required reading for anyone taking a diving course...it might get a few people that shouldn't dive to drop the course, and teach a few that don't respect what diving is, and taking care of the little things (and paying attention to what they learn so they don't get into similar situations)

Ironically, I was at a seminar at Beneath the Sea in New Jersey last weekend, and attended a seminar where Mike Ange talked about the sinking of, and cleaning of unexploded ordnance on the Vandenberg down off of Key West....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom