Treasure Hunter: Diving for Gold on North America's Death Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

covediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just finished reading "Treasure Hunter" byRobert MacKinnon. It is definitely worth reading for the adventure and history,and, let's face it, everyone likes a good shipwreck and sunken treasure story.

The recently-published narrative chronicles the nearly four-decade salvage ofhistoric wrecks undertaken by the author over what he describes as "NorthAmerica's Death Coast", the Atlantic coast of Nova Scotia. As the dustjacket blurb states, "In short, it’s a treasure hunter's paradise."Skeptical at first of the claim, I was convinced by the end of the book.

Now I am going to admit that outside of reading a book or two on Sable Island,the Whydah and shipwrecks of the Maine coast, I knew very little about themaritime history of that part of the United States and Canada, concentrating myreading on the Atocha and my professional maritime historical work on the westcoast of the US and Canada. So when I received the book I was in the positiondescribed by President Harry Truman; "the only thing new in this world isthe history that you don't know."

The author describes in some detail his salvage of five historic wrecks fromthe French colonial period through the War of 1812. When I studied the colonialperiod in high school and college history courses, I learn about the strugglefor control of the north-east US and Canada. The textbooks have a distinct"wilderness" and Anglo-centric orientation except for battles on LakeChamplain, Great Lakes, and the Saint Lawrence River that are part of theseparation of the United States from British North America. Maritime tradeduring colonization is described in terms of the slave trade, molasses, andfinished good in a triangle of commerce. In the War of 1812, the textbooksmention that the fleet landed British troops that sacked Washington only to bestopped at Baltimore with the engagement of Fort McHenry, as described in ournational anthem. We really don't learn what happened to them after they left,we just care that they did leave and we got on with nation building andmanifest destiny.

Treasure Hunter, through its description of the events leading up to the wrecksand the historic significance of the artifacts recovered from the wrecks beginsto fill in the blanks in the form a very entertaining and easy to readnarrative.

But make no mistake; the author is a treasure salvor, not a marinearchaeologist. He bears the label proudly. His motivation, other than a naturalcuriosity that all of his calling must have, is financial gain. However, hepresents a convincing argument that recovery of treasure for profit andexcavation, recovery, and curation of artifacts to suitable archaeologicalstandards are not mutually exclusive, especially within the framework ofCanadian legal system. While the author's narrative is a good story, I foundthat the appendixes of the book which cover treasure hunting techniques, sitecharacterization, the first coins of North America, and Nova Scotia's legalframework (the treasure trove law and special places law) for salvage to bevery informative and contain information, that if woven into the story, wouldhave added to the richness of the narrative. So my advice if you get the bookis not to ignore the appendices.

Portions of the book rehash the salvor versus in-situ preservationist debate.Throughout the book the author states that from the moment a ship wrecksdeterioration begins and that there is little time left before the knowledge tobe gained by retrieval will be gone. At first, these statements seem inconsistentas he is describing the recovery of artifacts that are three centuries old!Only late in the book does he expand these statements to describe the constantprocess of degradation of the sites and at some point the degradation will benearly complete, a much more sophisticated approach than a simple "recoveror lose it".

He reiterates the contention that only private sector investors and salvors canbring the necessary resources to bear to properly excavates a wreck site and inthe process makes a good case for the contention. He also emphasizes in theappendix the risk to investors from shipwreck salvage and describes the due diligencethat one should undertake before investing in such a partnership. This is oneof the most frank discussions I have read of this aspect of the treasuresalvage business in the dozens of books I have read on the subject.

If you like diving, shipwrecks, and treasure, this is a very good read. Will make you want to plan a trip to Nova Scotia

Thanks! Sounds like a good read..I will check it out!

If you like diving, shipwrecks, and treasure, this is a very good read. Will make you want to plan a trip to Nova Scotia

I do, it is, and I just might head that way. I was diving about a year and doing a lot of diving when I heard about the big Atocha find. I got the fever shortly thereafter. Read everything I could about diving, actually started working in the marine history field, got a piece of eight necklace struck from a silver bar from the Atocha, and now read everything I can about it. I have been wreck diving in California, BC, Alaska, the Carribean and the Great Lakes. Lots of interesting wrecks, not much treasure though.

The thing I liked about the Treasure Hunter is he is not a plundered. He does not subscribe to the "finders keepers" point of view which I believe is a rationalization for those who would plunder a wreck, denying those who come after the very thrill of discovery that the thief enjoys. Salvage is essentially a legal process which in the US is adminstered by the US district court sitting as the Admiralty court. I have been to some of these hearings in Alaska. Very informative. Treasure Hunter describes his meticulous work within the legal framework and belives that it works but needs a few adjustments.

I have had a copy of Tresure hunter for a number of years, but have not been inspired to read it until I read your report..Keep the reports comming!

Does your copy of Treasure Hunter have a dust jacket?

sdm

The book that I am reading had a release date of June 2012, not sure if there is an older or different version.

The book that I am reading had a release date of June 2012, not sure if there is an older or different version.

Byrdie: The book I reviewed was released in 2012. I think the book that Sam Miller refers to is "The Treasure Hunter" by Robin Moore and Howard Jennings which was published in 1974 and tells the story of Howard Jennings a terrestrial treasure hunter in the central America and South America. I have it on my book shelf and read it some time ago, it was part of a bundle of treasure hunting books that I got on ebay. Moore, who wrote the VietNam era best seller, the Green Berets, writes about the adventures with Jennings, some of them shared, with the archetypical treasure hunter featured in men's pulp magazines that I saw in the barbershop as a kid like Argosy and True. Entertaining in a very classical sort of way but very different than the book that you have. One of the more memorable chapters deals with finding treasure on Roatan Island,now a destination dive center.

Sam: My copy of "The Treasure Hunter" does have adust jacket. It shows a picture of a crystal skull, gold mask and emeralds with a tartantula crawling across the gold mask.

Byrdie: The book I reviewed was released in 2012. I think the book that Sam Miller refers to is "The Treasure Hunter" by Robin Moore.

Covediver: Thanks for the clarification. I will now need to find a copy and read as well.

Byrdie, I see from your location that you are from NJ. Be sure to note in the book the arrival of Northeast divers in Canada. They came to look for portholes on modern wrecks and quickly joined ranks with the salvors when they got a glmpse of what was up in those waters. One of these days someone is going to have to explain the obsession northeast divers have with portholes. With all the books I have read on the subject, I still don't get it. I kinda get the China recovery thing, but this obsession with portholes is something I just don't get. I am ambivalent about the practice (to each their own so long as the laws are folowed), the thrill is foreign to me.

Byrdie: The book I reviewed was released in 2012. I think the book that Sam Miller refers to is "The Treasure Hunter" by Robin Moore and Howard Jennings which was published in 1974 and tells the story of Howard Jennings a terrestrial treasure hunter in the central America and South America. I have it on my book shelf and read it some time ago, it was part of a bundle of treasure hunting books that I got on ebay. Moore, who wrote the VietNam era best seller, the Green Berets, writes about the adventures with Jennings, some of them shared, with the archetypical treasure hunter featured in men's pulp magazines that I saw in the barbershop as a kid like Argosy and True. Entertaining in a very classical sort of way but very different than the book that you have. One of the more memorable chapters deals with finding treasure on Roatan Island,now a destination dive center.

Sam: My copy of "The Treasure Hunter" does have adust jacket. It shows a picture of a crystal skull, gold mask and emeralds with a tartantula crawling across the gold mask.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is why we should include the LCCC or ISBM numbers in describing a book..

sdm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom