Do you need to pee while diving? Urination and diving explained.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Wananavu Fiji

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Apart from the hydration topic all this actually makes me wonder how the bladder works exactly. When its voided ... is it an air space that increases its volume while ascending? Can it be harmful to pee at the deepest point of a dive and ascend with a voided bladder?

But what you won’t have been taught is that the surrounding water pressure pushes the fluids from your skin tissues away from the surface, and into lower layers of tissue. This effectively increases fluid pressure within your body. Get where this is going yet?

Hmm... there might be a reason that this hasn't been taught to folks. I wonder what that reason might be...

But what you won’t have been taught is that the surrounding water pressure pushes the fluids from your skin tissues away from the surface, and into lower layers of tissue. This effectively increases fluid pressure within your body. Get where this is going yet? Your brain now senses a higher level of water within your body and triggers your kidneys to start producing urine.

I'm going to call BS on this one. Having made some deep dives, one equivalent to 20 ATA, there was no more urinating during that dive than any other. And if the pressure thing was true, then so much "fluid pressure" would have been exerted on my organs that surely I would have a) felt it, b) had repercussions from such pressure.

I'm going to call BS on this one. Having made some deep dives, one equivalent to 20 ATA, there was no more urinating during that dive than any other. And if the pressure thing was true, then so much "fluid pressure" would have been exerted on my organs that surely I would have a) felt it, b) had repercussions from such pressure.

You probably got so narc'd that you don't remember that you actually DIED on that dive!

You probably got so narc'd that you don't remember that you actually DIED on that dive!
IF i did die I am sure it was due to the pressure increasing the fluid in my inner tissues :wink:

but thanks to a whole lot of helium i remember the dive quite well. And i remember the 5 1/2 hours of deco to go with it

This is a topic that was recently brought up by my instructor and his son. My instructor proclaimed that he never pees in his dive suit as the urine is bad for the suit. The son a few days later at a party was talking about the need to buy your own wetsuit. He stated "there are two types of people in diving, those that pee in their wetsuit and those that lie about peeing in their wetsuit". The father objected saying he never does and the son just started laughing.

Curious as to what the true nature of the subject is.

DAN | Medical Frequently Asked Questions

As someone who used to work at a dive shop I can attest two truths. I have never peed in a wetsuit because I know it doesn't rinse out during a dive, and that this is true because I had to wash a lot of rental suits.

Back
Top Bottom