Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeb21072

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
by Robert Kurson

I downloaded the Kindle version of the book yesterday, and found it to be an interesting read. It is based upon the identification of a previously unknown U-Boat found off the Jersey coast in about 230'.
I did a quick search and did not see a previous review, but it does parallel the Deep Descent and Fatal Depth books that have been reviewed recently. If you are familiar with the charter boat Seeker and the Andrea Doria dives, a lot of the same divers are involved in the ID of the sub.
For the price, it is a good read.

Mike

I just started reading it myself. Got an old library book off of Amazon for $4. :D It's a great read! Even if you weren't into diving, Kurson is a great story teller.

there are quite a few reviews/discussions of this book, but since it was published almost 10 years ago, you have to dig for them.

It is an interesting book. You might also check out some related books: The Last Dive by Bernie Chowdhury, and Shadow Divers Exposed: the Real Saga of the U-869 by Gary Gentile.

there are quite a few reviews/discussions of this book, but since it was published almost 10 years ago, you have to dig for them.

It is an interesting book. You might also check out some related books: The Last Dive by Bernie Chowdhury, and Shadow Divers Exposed: the Real Saga of the U-869 by Gary Gentile.

Thanks, I figured it was on the forum somewhere. I was thinking about getting the The Last Dive, but wasn't sure if was just about their fatal dive or more about tech diving and other wrecks they dove.

I read it when it first came out and since then passed my copy onto 5 or 6 non divers and they all liked it. Great read-diver or not.

You might also check out some related books: Shadow Divers Exposed: the Real Saga of the U-869 by Gary Gentile.

Probably want to skip this one unless you're a big fan of BS conspiracy theories.

Probably want to skip this one unless you're a big fan of BS conspiracy theories.

He's got some other books that are worth a read, though...

Shore_Diving_Exposed.jpg

Last dive was a good read, same with Shadow divers, I think I posted reviews of both. I haven't read the Gary Gentile book yet.. But generally speaking, North East Wreck divers seam a contentious lot. The feuds seem frequent and legendary and the body counts on a few deep wrecks show that in some cases there is more testosterone than brains at work.

I really enjoyed Shadow Divers. It's a mystery story and an adventure, full of strong personalities, and very educational about how people research unknown wrecks. It's extremely well written.

The Last Dive is very much the same story seen from the point of view of one of the participants. It has a very immediate and personal feel to it, and some very cautionary stories, but it is not as well written. I still enjoyed it a great deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom