Vanished by Wil Hylton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

covediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Have you ever been diving and come across a piece of wreckage and wondered "what is this from and how did it get here?" I think it has happened to all divers. The question becomes relegated to a log book entry and quickly forgotten as soon as a new wonder is encountered on the next dive. But not always. In my case, my encounter was with a wreck known as the Peacock off Scorpion Point, a wood hulled minesweeper with the subject of a great deal of local legend and (mis) information. I pursued the story on and off, avocationally and professionally, for a number of years finally finding the answers to a lot of my questions in a memoir written by a woman who lived on the ranch on the island.

"Vanished" by Wil Hylton tells a similar but much more profound tale about a diver who encounters a aircraft wreckage while diving in Palau and sets off to discover the story behind the wreckage, which turns out to be a B-24 lost during a bombing raid on the islands. The loss occurs during one mission in a little known campaign, especially compared to aerial operations in Europe or the B-29 raids on Japan. But for the families of the crew, the consequences of the loss are none-the-less profound. In solving the mystery, the diver encounters a number of people and organizations that become part of the quest. Ultimately, the submerged wreckage is identified and excavated, with the recovery of the remains of some of some the crew.

Hylton weaves three stories into a very readible narrative. The first story is of the search and identification of the artifact, in this case a B-24, an effort that requires underwater and terrestrial investigations. As with almost any submerged wreck, most of the effort involves archival research through long unexamined documents whose dimensions are measured in thousands of linear feet of shelf space, located in various depositories. Equally as important is documenting the recollection of island residents who witnessed the loss. Armed with this information, the search is narrowed to the underwater location. The second story is the seven-decade-old saga that continues until this day of the individuals, how they became a "crew," their experience in the war and the circumstances brought them to be on that particular mission, and how the families of these MIAs finally achieved closure. The third story is how this little piece fits into the epic of the World War II and its aftermath. At then end of the book, most of the questions are answered, but one or two mysteries about the mission endure.

This book reminded me very much of The Last Dive, a book that tells the story of the loss and discovery of the USS Grunion, a submarine lost in the Aleutian Islands during action with the enemy.

Interview: Wil S. Hylton, Author Of 'Vanished' : NPR

Going to add this one to my "be sure to look for it at the library list."

And I just looked, and they have it, but checked out

I'd never heard of the last dive or the Grunion either. Looks like some good stuff for my letter to Santa Claus.
Thanks!

Thanks for the correction. The Last Dive is about the father and son dive team, the Rouse's, that is as chilling a tale as I ever read and which seems to have initiated a whole genre of books about dive accidents.

The amazing thing about Fatal Dive, as well as Vanished, is the connections that the families of the crew made decades after the events, when memories had begun to fade. I first learned of the search for the Grunion when the searchers stopped by the place I work to talk to our maritime historian. It was the first I heard of the sub, and have been fascinated with it ever since. Ironically, within one year I saw two memorials to the Grunion, one at Pearl Harbor and the other in Marquette Michigan. Both memorialize submarines that were lost and not yet found, said to be on "Eternal Patrol".

Just finished Vanished. Overall a fine read as a good blend of history and adventure. Not much in terms of diving though and I would have liked to see more pictures, maps or illustrations.

Just finished Vanished. Overall a fine read as a good blend of history and adventure. Not much in terms of diving though and I would have liked to see more pictures, maps or illustrations.

yes, a few more maps would have been nice or even a detailed map. you are correct, the underwater sequence is a not greatly described. I don't know if it would be too technical or because this was essentially the excavation of a war grave. From my own experience in doing shipwreck research, hours or days are spent in archives or chasing down leads where minutes are spent underwater locating the wreckage. Most locations from the archives are notoriously inaccurate as is the recollection of eyewitnesses. That is part of the challenge and frustration of research. Still, every so often one has a serendipitous moment that makes it all seem random. It is more like being a cold-case detective.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom