Holy Sticker Shock !!! Sheck Exley book prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bilsant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Getting ready for the holidays and put a couple of Exley's books that I haven't read on the Amazon wish list. My wife gently inquired if I was really serious. I checked the prices and am beyond shocked.

From today's prices:

Cavern Measureless to Man $23.39 new

Taming of the Slough $4126.00 new, $98.00 used

Basic Cave Diving $222.28 new, $22.50 used (fortunately, I bought this new last year for twelve bucks).

I know the author has passed, but what am I missing?

Man, if somebody's willing to pay $4k for Taming, I'll sell my copy . . .

Price increase in rare valuable content books is to be expected; it is an economic law of supply and demand, the supply is low and the demand is high the price will increase.

For over fifty years I have been a diving bibliophile and have created diving library of over 2000 volumes plus 13 bound periodicals which is considered by serious diving bibliophiles as the largest and most complete collection devoted to recreational diving in the US and probably the world.

Almost 20 years ago I organized and presented the very first US diving bibliophile meeting at my CenCal home which was attended by serious diving bibliophiles from the western US and via telephone to others within the US who couldn't attend in person.

Many predictions came from that first gathering: dive books would soon fly off the used book store shelves, the price of bibliophilic quality collector books (intact dust Jacket, no rips, tears or markings and minimal foxing) would become increasingly rare and increase exponentially in value, Books that could be purchased at that time for a few dollars, if they can be located now the seller will demand antique collector prices or more appropriately they can not be found or purchased at any price.

It is not difficult to comprehend the sudden and excessive price increase in Sheck Exley's books = supply and demand. When published there was a great supply of his works and minimal demand, now that the world of recreational diving has increased like two rabbits in a 3 foot cage there is an excessive demand for his words of wisdom, therefore price the increase.

But how many of you have read or heard of "Caves and Cave Diving" ?? Authored by Guy De Lavaru, published in 1958 in the US by Crown books. It is the fountain head of cave diving books and it is currently available at reasonable prices.

SDM

Is Cavern Measureless to Man entertaining/a good read? I do love diving but I'd like something as high-quality as Deco For Divers but a bit more recreational.

Caverns is a fascinating read -- it's not a textbook at all. It's more of a memoir, and one describing an era in diving which, thank God, is now gone. You will finish the book wondering how Sheck survived as long as he DID!

Caverns is a fascinating read -- it's not a textbook at all. It's more of a memoir, and one describing an era in diving which, thank God, is now gone. You will finish the book wondering how Sheck survived as long as he DID!

Sold!

Thanks for the info (Amazon thanks you too! No, sorry...Cave Adventurers thanks you too!)

Caverns is definitely the gem of the group.
It was originally offered in cave country as collectors edition which came with loose photos and other items.
I would offer up a newer edition Caverns and Taming the Slough, (both very close to new condition) for a first run printing of Caverns.
Would add cash to deal if someone has the collector's edition.

Back
Top Bottom