What is the best scuba diving novel you've ever read?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi Scuba Divers,

I am writing an article about scuba diving novels. What is the best scuba diving novel you've ever read/what is your favorite scuba diving novel?

Thank you in advance,
Irene

It's between Shadow Divers and The Last Dive; probably Shadow Divers because I'm a sucker for a genuine historical mystery.

The worst one has to be an utterly crap piece of hack action fiction called The Hydra Protocol that more or less opened with the protagonist opening the un-regged valve on a CCR tank to help propel him up faster during a buoyant ascent from a trimix CCR dive to 150m after what reads like half an hour at that depth inside a wrecked sub. Extra points subtracted for describing ox-tox as narcosis, and noting that it was the first time the protagonist had dove past 40m. He got the bends horribly, but was able to tough it out. I think the odds are more on his dying before even cracking the surface...but what do I know.

none. I like facts. Scientific facts.

Novels are generally totally devoid of facts. Especially scientific facts.

It's between Shadow Divers and The Last Dive; probably Shadow Divers because I'm a sucker for a genuine historical mystery.

The worst one has to be an utterly crap piece of hack action fiction called The Hydra Protocol that more or less opened with the protagonist opening the un-regged valve on a CCR tank to help propel him up faster during a buoyant ascent from a trimix CCR dive to 150m after what reads like half an hour at that depth inside a wrecked sub. Extra points subtracted for describing ox-tox as narcosis, and noting that it was the first time the protagonist had dove past 40m. He got the bends horribly, but was able to tough it out. I think the odds are more on his dying before even cracking the surface...but what do I know.

I know lots of good books, but like the two mentioned [favourably] above, they are not fiction, therefore not novels. I think I've enjoyed Submerged most of all: but again, it's not a novel.

Shadow divers, ocean gladiator

For fiction I have enjoyed most of Cusslers books.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for shadow divers. While not strictly dive related, I've thoroughly enjoyed Cussler's Sea Hunters audiobooks on road trips.

I know lots of good books, but like the two mentioned [favourably] above, they are not fiction, therefore not novels.
Not according to Gary Gentile.
:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom