Settle an argument please ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoppy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question for you all.

A few of us were talking the other day while waiting to get back into the water and someone said "why are Pony bottles called Pony bottles ? "

The assorted crew of Instructors, DM's and us humble grunts didn't have a clue.

Can anyone provide a definate answer or a good suggestion ?

Cheers
Hoppy

What a stumper...only guess I have is that maybe since a pony is a smaller version of a horse that it was called that since it is smaller than a "regular" sized scuba tank...

In what may be a related occurrence, we call 7 oz. bottles of beer ponies.

Mike

From Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary :

2 : something smaller than standard: as a : a small beer glass b : a small liqueur glass typically holding one ounce

About the beer reference, I seem to recall during college that the beer distributor carried pony kegs.

Mmm..... seems pony means a few different things .... the thesaurus provided a sample usage of pony in a phrase: "had his pony hidden in his lap"

If that's the case, then I guess this phrase must also be valid, "Is that a pony in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" :jester:

nicodaemos once bubbled...
seem to recall during college that the beer distributor carried pony kegs.

Brings back fond yet hazy memories.

Mike

if i was to pose a guess

i would say the term "pony bottle" came from the the attachment method. Someone probably was trying to explain how they are carried. mounted to your main tank or Pony it to your main tank.
I can recall back when i was first certified everyone who was using a "pony bottle" and it attached to there main tank. i would guess that the term stuck. ie. doubles is a term used alot, you dont here people saying i got my new twins setup today. It was just a term used that stuck with alot of people.

just my 2 cents

Andy

Hi folks,

Thanks for those suggestions.

We did have one suggestion in the club I dive with, that the Pony Express riders used to have a backup horse which was a pony ? Sounds feasible.

As for other terms Trymixdiver, over here in the UK we do refer to twins so you guys call them doubles eh ? Just goes to show its true two countries didved by a common language.

:D

Happy bubbling gang.

Hoppy

It's cockney rhyming slang - pony and trap....

Anyone guess what my views on ponies are!?

Chris

is making me feel hoarse.

Why would anyone want to be saddled with one of them?

They fill me with unbridled disgust. I think they're foal.

And other equestrian-related analogies.

They have to be some of the worst puns going.........

Thanks for the contribution Jim. :D

Still haven't got a definative answer !

Back
Top Bottom