BSAC Advanced & 1st Class Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phoenix

Club Web Master
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys, I will be crossing over to BSAC when i complete my DM rating, that will make me a BSAC Dive Leader
I am curios as to the requirements and length of time required to become a BSAC Advanced Diver, and ultimatly a BSAC 1st Class Diver (one of my big goals) so any BSAC people wishing to input would be great thanks
I always liked the way the BSAC was set up, but was worried at the length of time required for initial training, i've heard it can take ages

thanks for the help guys

The BSAC web site you should get all the info there, also look up SALT AGREEMENT this give's the x over between bsac and a few other agency's PADI is one of them ( but be warned when I called PADI they did-not know anything about it) they called me back later and said yes we do have a agreement,

thanks guys, I had read that site quite a bit, couldnt find anything on the 1st class diver though, I was more interested in the time taken to complete it, im sure it varies slightly depending on candidate though

I've just dug out one of my old log-books, and one of the requirements of 1st class is that you need to be an adv diver initially _ and_ show continuous bsac membership for 3 years - so I guess a minimum of 3 years from crossing over.
Why do you want to do it? - I've let my bsac membership lapse now, but at one time intended working up to adv diver, however it basically boiled down to a set of courses, passed more or lesson attendance only, which were never run within 500 miles of home, so instead I spent my money going diving, as time passed the course benefits reduced to the point where I didn't think they were worth spending the time on - hence I stayed at dive leader level - though the O2 admin and rescue management courses are worth doing, even if you don't intend going any further.
Adv diver is really only worth anything if you are a staunch 'club' diver, otherwise, it gains you very little.
F

Phoenix once bubbled...
thanks guys, I had read that site quite a bit, couldnt find anything on the 1st class diver though, I was more interested in the time taken to complete it, im sure it varies slightly depending on candidate though

Phoenix

This should give you a pretty good idea of what you need to do.

First Class Diver Intro

Adrian

Upon looking at the prerequisites, I would say you would be better off doing the necessary skill development courses and then going diving.

The first three sections are very useful if you are a dive guide on a regular day boat. So, you could take a two week holiday and go to Sharm or Hurghada and speak to the dive schools and ask them if you could be trained to be a dive guide on a big boat.

This would fulfill the Dive Expedition part.
For the Diving task, you could organise a dive on Yolanda Reef in Ras Mohammed in Sharm and map the toilets and bathroom furniture that are on the wreck

Then the culmination of your two weeks could be organising a trip to the Thistlegorm ... I tell you, I did this for 5 years and nothing prepares you for organising divers on a dive trip to the Thistlegorm ....

The Dive school will love you as you will be volunteering to work for them, you will love it as you will get loads of good diving and priceless experience and then when you come back have a look at the 1st class diver prerequisites and tick off the ones you have done.

Cheaper, quicker and a damn-sight more fun .... you may even get a tan!

Belushi once bubbled...
Upon looking at the prerequisites, I would say you would be better off doing the necessary skill development courses and then going diving.
In the end, this is what most of us do. Advanced Diver is experienced enough for any UK diving. First Class is just that little bit extra. Most of us can't be arsed and would rather go diving

The first three sections are very useful if you are a dive guide on a regular day boat. So, you could take a two week holiday and go to Sharm or Hurghada and speak to the dive schools and ask them if you could be trained to be a dive guide on a big boat.

This would fulfill the Dive Expedition part.
For the Diving task, you could organise a dive on Yolanda Reef in Ras Mohammed in Sharm and map the toilets and bathroom furniture that are on the wreck

Then the culmination of your two weeks could be organising a trip to the Thistlegorm ... I tell you, I did this for 5 years and nothing prepares you for organising divers on a dive trip to the Thistlegorm ....
Possibly, possibly, it depends. The Thislegorm level of dive is more likely to be used as an Advanced Diver dive marshalling test. It really depends on the club and the type of diving done by them. Finding the Rosalie Moller would be a bit more like it, seeing as some of the local boats cant do it without a grapnel and pull over the funnel. Now if one of the exercises was to move a train or raise a bren gun carrier...

Usually the 'examinee' will run the boat itself, not just be the guide. How many Egyptian captains would be happy with that. Someone I know who passed the exam a couple of years ago did spend a summer on a UK hardboat, running the boat and diving.

And you might fail due to the tendancy of Egyptian dive boats to ignore the requirements of the international collision regulations. How many even put up an A flag? :)

The Dive school will love you as you will be volunteering to work for them, you will love it as you will get loads of good diving and priceless experience and then when you come back have a look at the 1st class diver prerequisites and tick off the ones you have done.

Cheaper, quicker and a damn-sight more fun .... you may even get a tan!
I've got a tan from a summer's south coast diving. Trouble is it stops at the neck and wrists :D

The first class grade is a hard test for those who realy want to push themselves. As you say Belushi, I'd rather go diving.

Adrian

Back
Top Bottom