Where to find Basking Sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am interested in photographing the basking shark which is a pretty rare shark to find. For me living in Washington DC area, it seems that the best thing would be to come to UK and dive the Porthkerris area in hopes of getting my picture.

I just had a few questions:

What is the probability of sightings?

Is there a particular season to see the basking shark there?

How is diving other than the Basking shark encounter I am seeking?

Any other ideas and suggestions also welcome.

I would like to come to the best part in UK to photograph them. If Lundy offers a better chance for a sighting then I can change destinations.

As far as I am aware the sharks in the Hebrides are more reliable than ones found further south in Cornwall, and Basking Shark Scotland seem to be a very good operator.

Yes Basking shark scotland in Oban, 2H45 from Edinburgh is really good, but be sure to book in advance, I missed my opportunity this summer because everything is booked way too much in avance in Scotland!

Another good place is the Isle of Man, between England and Ireland.

baskingsharkscotland.co.uk - operate as fast rib so can go where the sharks are - think the price for next year is around £120/day, but good value even at that. There was a survey in that area - Coll where there were plans for an off shore wind farm so the sharks were counted over 24 hours - over 900 in the area - the wind farm was shelved apparantly. Best months are june-sept

I also want to photograph basking sharks so I have booked with Basking Sharks Scotland - they were recommended by a UK friend. I lead underwater photography trips so I have done up a package for anyone that wants to join.

Also while we are island hopping looking for basking sharks we see whales, seals, whiskey distilleries , ruins, puffins, and maybe even a sunfish

Cant wait - I have been in love with these guys since I had a shark chart as a kid.

Basking Shark Snorkel Underwater photography Trip with Gregory Sweeney

We had the most amazing long weekend diving the small isles with Lochaline boat charters in August, saw basking sharks every day - plus minke, porpoises and dolphins - off Coll spent the time in between diving the Tapti and a wall off Muck for around an hour and a half in the water with between 9-12 basking sharks, awesome day

Back
Top Bottom