Any fantasy lake maps online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dburg30

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've looked and if I found anything they werent really very easy to read online. I think I read something about them working on one for online somewhere? Planning on diving there in about 12 days before heading out to the coast for a week. (not that I'm counting days or anything :))

Never been there before, any tips / ideas on diving a couple of tanks on a friday am/early pm??

Do they have hours on friday during the day for air fills and such?

Thanks for any info!

Great, thanks for the link!! So have they had compressor problems? People just not showing up to be there during the weekday mornings???

no, the quarry is weird... Half the time it's based completely on the honor system, and you'll never see anyone that works there. They don't usually man the compressor unless there are dive shops there on the weekends, so you have to call ahead to make sure they're actually home. Technically there is no actual "hours" since you can dive 24/7/365.
There are a couple of semi close dive shops in the area. Let me know if you need or want extra buddies, I'm always looking for chances to get wet, especially with more cave training coming up soon.

They don't actually have any "employees" either, there's the owner and his son, who live there. Pretty chill place as far as that is concerned. On the maps, there are lines going between all of the major stuff out there except the deep plane.

My nephew works in raleigh, so he drives close to a couple. Think water world is the one he goes to. We've each got one tank, so he is just going to pick up an extra for each of us so we can do 2 dives.. Then we have to get him and his family all packed up to head out to emerald isle.

Gypsy Divers is closest to the Quarry. Pay your fees honestly as Doy will kick you out when he sees your vehicle without a pay envelope. There are certain restrictions on the night diving unless it is the weekend. Be aware the hot summer causes the viz to go way down in August and September. Get there early before the student classes on the weekend. Someone is usually in the compressor room on the weekends but not as regular during the week. The thermocline kicks in around 40 to 45 feet (depending on time of year). If you plan to do the deeper stuff bring a hood and gloves. The road bed (as depicted on the map) is a best reference for natural navigation. The rock ledge (near the graveyard) is another.

Gypsy Divers is closest to the Quarry. Pay your fees honestly as Doy will kick you out when he sees your vehicle without a pay envelope. There are certain restrictions on the night diving unless it is the weekend. Be aware the hot summer causes the viz to go way down in August and September. Get there early before the student classes on the weekend. Someone is usually in the compressor room on the weekends but not as regular during the week. The thermocline kicks in around 40 to 45 feet (depending on time of year). If you plan to do the deeper stuff bring a hood and gloves. The road bed (as depicted on the map) is a best reference for natural navigation. The rock ledge (near the graveyard) is another.

Would NEVER consider not paying on the honor system, I know you were just letting me know, but no way in hell I'd do that, your name can get passed around too easily if you do stupid stuff. Wont have to worry about the night diving. We have a shallow quarry not far from me, so I'm used to the viz dropping to about zero sometimes. We'll be there on a Friday AM so that should allow it to settle some. I do wear gloves, dont have a hood though, may have to consider that especially since we are cooling down quickly up here right now.

Heading down again this weekend. Have tanks lined up already. Am going in properly exposure protected to so we can investigate the deeper spots..

Anyone been there lately with vis info / water temps? Saw they had it updated a few weeks ago I think.

Hey dburg...the thermocline gets shallower as the cold months kick in but generally the water temps stay the same below it. If you take the road bed out to Al's Car (under a small red buoy) you will find a rope that heads south. Follow it a ways as it connects to different objects and turns southwest. It will take you to the deep hole (about 80 ft). You'll need a light. Bone chillingly cold there. There is also a rope that goes from the rock crusher to Al's Car.

Keep a close eye out in the water column, the fresh water jellies have been seen a couple of times lately. cool little creatures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom